Re: [ScottishWarPrisoners] George Ross, cattle thief -- deception

    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 9, 2007
      Thanks, Dave. The name is right, the date is right. I
      will have to check this out. Family legend has it that
      George Ross was a war prisoner, but this could well be
      an example of the kind of deception that Mark
      mentioned.

      I've heard of this kind of thing in other people's
      family histories. I read of a Swedish immigrant who
      was a juvenile delinquent in Sweden. In the US, he
      passed himself off as an entirely different person who
      lived in his home town in Sweden. He knew enough about
      this other person and his family to be able to tell a
      convincing story.

      Does this mean that if an ancestor was a criminal,
      there would be a good chance of finding him or her in
      court records?

      Eleanor Hall

    • D. & C. Fisher
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 10, 2007
        Eleanor,

        George Ross apparently got someone's attention back there. The "Directory..." (pub. 1983) cites "Scots Magazine" as the source of the information.

        Dave