Re: [ScottishWarPrisoners] URL for the Henry and Francis with Pitlochie

    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 9, 2007
      I found it. You need to put .html at the end of the
      URL. Thanks, Brenda.

      Eleanor Hall

      www.immigrantships.net/v5/1600v5/henryandfrancis16851200

      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 9, 2007
        Thanks, Dave. The name is right, the date is right. I
        will have to check this out. Family legend has it that
        George Ross was a war prisoner, but this could well be
        an example of the kind of deception that Mark
        mentioned.

        I've heard of this kind of thing in other people's
        family histories. I read of a Swedish immigrant who
        was a juvenile delinquent in Sweden. In the US, he
        passed himself off as an entirely different person who
        lived in his home town in Sweden. He knew enough about
        this other person and his family to be able to tell a
        convincing story.

        Does this mean that if an ancestor was a criminal,
        there would be a good chance of finding him or her in
        court records?

        Eleanor Hall

      • D. & C. Fisher
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 10, 2007
          Eleanor,

          George Ross apparently got someone's attention back there. The "Directory..." (pub. 1983) cites "Scots Magazine" as the source of the information.

          Dave