Re: Looking for the Scottish origin of George Gray

  • Brenda
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 9, 2007
      Thanks Dave for looking, I really appreciate it!
      Bren

      --- In ScottishWarPrisoners@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Fisher"

      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 14, 2007
        Mark,

        Interesting insights. You mention "court papers in
        London of their ancestor's far from noble reason for
        transportation." Where are these papers? Are any of
        them online, and if so, how can they be accessed?

        Eleanor Hall

        mailto:ScottishWarPrisoners-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

      • Mark Sutherland-Fisher
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 15, 2007
          Eleanor,
          I dont know if they are online or not. The Guildhall in London houses the
          court records for the period pre 1775 dealing with the Criminal Assizes
          throughout England, giving details of accused persons, their alleged crimes,
          appointments and reappointments of judges and juries, notes on the trials
          (not transcripts of evidence) and where convicted, sentence and then details
          of transportation including often ship, captain, to whom in america they had
          been sold (i.e. estate owner) and for how much.

          When I last examined these around 8 years ago, it was the original documents
          and I had to wear gloves to avoid acid from my fingers damaging the velum
          paper on which they were written.

          I suggest you look at the guildhall website, which you should get from
          Google.
          Hope this helps
          Mark

        • Dave Fisher
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 15, 2007
            Eleanor,

            Court records might be interesting, separating knavery from
            nobility. Here's a little tidbit regarding my Battle of Dunbar
            ancestor after he had been in America for a while:

            "Wee present Geo. Gray and Saraih his wife for liveing in fornication
            before they came into the bands of Wedlocke. Jury. The Court fines
            the Delinquents three pounds and oficers fees or to receive 10
            stripes apiece. Att a County Court houlden at Wells (Maine) the
            secund day of July 1672 presentments made and given in to the sayd
            Court by the Grand Inquest."
            Pg 239 [4:2:10] York County Court Book Two.

            BTW, in 1672 Sarah was 14 and G.G. about 50. I guess they got over
            it, as they well populated New England with Grays. Looks like they
            were jumping-the-gun a little.

            Dave

            --- In ScottishWarPrisoners@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Sutherland-Fisher"
            <msf10@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > > > possible source on your side
            > > > of the pond before trying on this side because 99%
            > > > of times, all the likely
            > > > information is in North America not in the UK. Our
            > > > records from that time
            > > > are almost non-existent and at best very patchy and
            > > > generally relate only to
            > > > the very important or the very wicked.
            > > >
            > > > Mark

            > > > Scottish origin of George

            > > > transported to Boston in
            > > > lumber plantations
            > > > subsequent genealogy is
            > > > Wikipedia that he came
            > > > "Not Notable." I can
            > > > Lanark/Lanarkshire websites. My
            > > > American records or
            > > > Any info?

            > > > (Yahoo! ID required)
            > > >

            > >mailto:ScottishWarPrisoners-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            > Fixing up the home? Live Search can help
            kit=improve&locale=en-US&source=hmemailtaglinenov06&FORM=WLMTAG

            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 15, 2007
              Dave,

              I heard or read somewhere that sex before marriage was
              not uncommon in Colonial days.

              Eleanor Hall

              === message truncated ===
            • Rom
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 15, 2007
                Common or no don't mean tweren't illegal. Or summat.

                > I heard or read somewhere that sex before marriage
                > was
                > not uncommon in Colonial days.
                >
                > Eleanor Hall

                "If you aren't someone's villain, you aren't defined well enough." - Tom
                "I'm beginning to see why the others fear you." - Carolyn
                "Oh, Bob? Do we have any openings this man might fit?" - Madeline Kahn

                Never miss an email again!
              • Mark Sutherland-Fisher
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 16, 2007
                  Eleanor,
                  Sex before marriage was the norm in Scotland and probably England as well
                  until Queen Victoria and her German morals kicked in!

                  At a time when divorce was only for the rich and powerful, the only reason a
                  couple married was to have children and the only way they would know if they
                  could ahve children togther was to try. The normal practice in Scotland was
                  for a courting couple to have premarital sex and then as soon as the girl
                  discovered she was pregnant, they married. If they got the timing wrong,
                  they just announced that they had entered into an irregular marriage and if
                  they could afford it, paid the fee to the Kirk and then had their irregular
                  marriage recognised by the Kirk.

                  The majority of people pre Victorian times entered into irregular marriages
                  and as both marriages and baptisms had to be paid for to be recorded, the
                  great majority of ordinary people didnt register their marriages and
                  childrens births, which is why often people cant trace ancestors entries
                  inthe OPR in years where there are not gaps in the records.

                  Remember entire generations of men were regularly culled on the battlefield
                  and disproportionately large numbers of women died either in or as a
                  consequence of childbirth. A widower with young children would almost
                  immediately remarry, often to his wife's younger sister or cousin to provide
                  a new mother for his children and would then probably saddle the poor woman
                  with another handful of her own and if she died, he would get another. A man
                  was often having children with several wives over a 30 or 40 year period and
                  frequently was still fathering children when his older children were
                  themselves already having children.

                  The converse was also true. Often a widow left with young children perhaps
                  in her 20's or even as late as early 40's would acquire a new husband, often
                  a man young enough to be her son, who would have his eye on her farm or
                  property which would become his on marriage and then proceed to have even 2
                  or 3 children by her. I have seen cases of women previously widowed with
                  several children in their 40's having more children by their husbands in
                  their 20s and unsurprisingly such women rarely lived to be old and a few
                  years later the younger husband would be taking another wife after her
                  premature death, often as a consequence of a very late pregnancy or
                  childbirth. Within my own family I have numerous cases of multiple marriages
                  in both sexes where there wasn't a single divorce. that is why it is
                  essential you carefully analyse who the witnesses to any child's birth were.
                  almost always they were specially chosen by the father/parents.
                  Mark

                • Dave Fisher
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 16, 2007
                    My guess is that the Massachusetts Bay Colony and the York County
                    Court (then part of the MBC) took a dimmer view of what the Scottish
                    ex-prisoners took as a norm. The court proceeding fell about halfway
                    between the establishment of the Puritan colony and the later Salem
                    witch trials.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 16, 2007
                      Mark Sutherland-Fisher wrote:

                      >Eleanor,
                      >Sex before marriage was the norm in Scotland and probably England as well
                      >until Queen Victoria and her German morals kicked in!

                      I think that the Puritans had a lot to do with it also.