RE: [ScottishWarPrisoners] Looking for the Scottish origin of George Gray

  • Brenda Green
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 9, 2007
      Thank you Mark for the interesting information. More than likely you are right about my ancestor...I didn't actually believe the tales but I put it out there for anyone that has information to contact me. Funny how stories originate huh?
      Well, it has been researched and the manifest found but all that was listed was the fact that they paid their passage and was on the boat in Scotland when it sailed, and lived through the hard voyage to America. But, I am trying to find out any particulars about them, such as: where did they come from, last known home of record, why did they immigrate, how were they listed i.e. prisoners, economic or otherwise.
      Here on this side, we don't have information about these things...just what the manifest tells us or what is transcribed from such documents.
      Again, I just loved the information about our 'family story', it was interesting and most enlightening!
      Thanks,
      Bren

      Mark Sutherland-Fisher <msf10@...> wrote: Dave,
      Your search is effectively before most ordinary people were recorded so
      unless you stumble across his baptism in one of the few parishes with
      legible records pre 1700 or you find him in some military muster roll, it is
      highly unlikely you will find any reference to him in Scotland.

      Earlier there was an email about a couple who emigrated in 1685. It was from
      Brenda and this is the reply I tried to send to the list then:

      Brenda,

      I am sorry to say but I think your family folklore has been invented by some
      of your ancestors to make their ancestors sound more interesting.

      Firstly Oliver Cromwell fought the armies of King Charles I 40 years before
      they emigrated so if he had been in Cromwell’s army he would have been a
      very old man in his 60’s at the time of emigration to America. Secondly, it
      is unlikely that Protestants would have left England and move to Scotland.
      Cromwell’s England was staunch Protestant like Scotland. Given that Cromwell
      slaughtered a Scottish army under Charles II at Worcester on 3rd September
      1651 and Cromwell was hated in Scotland so I cannot see supporters of
      Cromwell fleeing to Scotland. Far more likely your ancestors were simple
      economic migrants which would explain why they paid for their passage. They
      sound Dutch so they may have come to England or Scotland when Charles II
      came back from exile in 1660.

      Sorry if it spoils a good story.

      I know it is hard for those of you in North America to understand but
      generally when someone left Scotland or England to emigrate or as either a
      common criminal or "political prisoner" being transported, the general
      attitude was good riddance and thank goodness that's one or more less mouths
      to feed. Most people were too concerned with the problems of just surviving
      from day to day in what was a relatively poor country (even most aristocrats
      in Scotland were very poor by comparison with their English or French
      counterparts) so people leaving or being transported was really only of
      interest to their immeidate families.

      However on the other side of the pond it was a different matter and most of
      the immigrants wanted to record somewhere who they were and where they came
      from. However unless as is the case with your ancestor, who was recorded as
      a "political prisoner", a Royalist, being transported, in my experience the
      overwhelming majority who claim to have been transported or exiled for
      supporting this king or that religion were simply making it up and were
      either economic migrants or common criminals given the chance to be
      transported rather than hung. As I have said to many disappointed American
      descendants when confronting them with the court papers in London of their
      ancestor's far from noble reason for transportation, if you were transported
      as a common criminal and 30 years later by luck and hard toil had risen to
      be someone of importance in colonial society, what would you tell yuor
      children and grandchildren, that you were a common criminal or a heroic
      warrior punished for your political or religious beliefs. I know which I
      would choose and after all the last thing they would expect is that 350
      years later their distant descendants could either fly to Britain in 5 hours
      or do research without even leaving their own homes!!

      To anyone researching an ancestor who migrated to the North America for any
      reason between 1650 and 1775 (when transportation to the American colonies
      stopped) my advice is always to exhaust every possible source on your side
      of the pond before trying on this side because 99% of times, all the likely
      information is in North America not in the UK. Our records from that time
      are almost non-existent and at best very patchy and generally relate only to
      the very important or the very wicked.

      Mark

      >From: "Dave Fisher"
      >To: ScottishWarPrisoners@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [ScottishWarPrisoners] Looking for the Scottish origin of George
      >Gray
      >Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2007 14:29:52 -0000
      >
      >George Gray was one of 150 Dunbar prisoners transported to Boston in
      >1650 in the 'Unity,' and thence transported to the lumber plantations
      >around Berwick, ME. His presence there and subsequent genealogy is
      >well documented. At one time it was stated on Wikipedia that he came
      >from Lanark, but the entry was later removed as "Not Notable." I can
      >find no information about him on the Lanark/Lanarkshire websites. My
      >guess is that any such information originated in American records or
      >writings, probably in the York County, ME area. Any info?
      >
      >Dave Fisher

    • Brenda
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 9, 2007
        Thanks Dave for looking, I really appreciate it!
        Bren

        --- In ScottishWarPrisoners@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Fisher"

        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 14, 2007
          Mark,

          Interesting insights. You mention "court papers in
          London of their ancestor's far from noble reason for
          transportation." Where are these papers? Are any of
          them online, and if so, how can they be accessed?

          Eleanor Hall

          mailto:ScottishWarPrisoners-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        • Mark Sutherland-Fisher
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 15, 2007
            Eleanor,
            I dont know if they are online or not. The Guildhall in London houses the
            court records for the period pre 1775 dealing with the Criminal Assizes
            throughout England, giving details of accused persons, their alleged crimes,
            appointments and reappointments of judges and juries, notes on the trials
            (not transcripts of evidence) and where convicted, sentence and then details
            of transportation including often ship, captain, to whom in america they had
            been sold (i.e. estate owner) and for how much.

            When I last examined these around 8 years ago, it was the original documents
            and I had to wear gloves to avoid acid from my fingers damaging the velum
            paper on which they were written.

            I suggest you look at the guildhall website, which you should get from
            Google.
            Hope this helps
            Mark

          • Dave Fisher
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 15, 2007
              Eleanor,

              Court records might be interesting, separating knavery from
              nobility. Here's a little tidbit regarding my Battle of Dunbar
              ancestor after he had been in America for a while:

              "Wee present Geo. Gray and Saraih his wife for liveing in fornication
              before they came into the bands of Wedlocke. Jury. The Court fines
              the Delinquents three pounds and oficers fees or to receive 10
              stripes apiece. Att a County Court houlden at Wells (Maine) the
              secund day of July 1672 presentments made and given in to the sayd
              Court by the Grand Inquest."
              Pg 239 [4:2:10] York County Court Book Two.

              BTW, in 1672 Sarah was 14 and G.G. about 50. I guess they got over
              it, as they well populated New England with Grays. Looks like they
              were jumping-the-gun a little.

              Dave

              --- In ScottishWarPrisoners@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Sutherland-Fisher"
              <msf10@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > > possible source on your side
              > > > of the pond before trying on this side because 99%
              > > > of times, all the likely
              > > > information is in North America not in the UK. Our
              > > > records from that time
              > > > are almost non-existent and at best very patchy and
              > > > generally relate only to
              > > > the very important or the very wicked.
              > > >
              > > > Mark

              > > > Scottish origin of George

              > > > transported to Boston in
              > > > lumber plantations
              > > > subsequent genealogy is
              > > > Wikipedia that he came
              > > > "Not Notable." I can
              > > > Lanark/Lanarkshire websites. My
              > > > American records or
              > > > Any info?

              > > > (Yahoo! ID required)
              > > >

              > >mailto:ScottishWarPrisoners-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              > Fixing up the home? Live Search can help
              kit=improve&locale=en-US&source=hmemailtaglinenov06&FORM=WLMTAG

              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 15, 2007
                Dave,

                I heard or read somewhere that sex before marriage was
                not uncommon in Colonial days.

                Eleanor Hall

                === message truncated ===
              • Rom
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 15, 2007
                  Common or no don't mean tweren't illegal. Or summat.

                  > I heard or read somewhere that sex before marriage
                  > was
                  > not uncommon in Colonial days.
                  >
                  > Eleanor Hall

                  "If you aren't someone's villain, you aren't defined well enough." - Tom
                  "I'm beginning to see why the others fear you." - Carolyn
                  "Oh, Bob? Do we have any openings this man might fit?" - Madeline Kahn

                  Never miss an email again!
                • Mark Sutherland-Fisher
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 16, 2007
                    Eleanor,
                    Sex before marriage was the norm in Scotland and probably England as well
                    until Queen Victoria and her German morals kicked in!

                    At a time when divorce was only for the rich and powerful, the only reason a
                    couple married was to have children and the only way they would know if they
                    could ahve children togther was to try. The normal practice in Scotland was
                    for a courting couple to have premarital sex and then as soon as the girl
                    discovered she was pregnant, they married. If they got the timing wrong,
                    they just announced that they had entered into an irregular marriage and if
                    they could afford it, paid the fee to the Kirk and then had their irregular
                    marriage recognised by the Kirk.

                    The majority of people pre Victorian times entered into irregular marriages
                    and as both marriages and baptisms had to be paid for to be recorded, the
                    great majority of ordinary people didnt register their marriages and
                    childrens births, which is why often people cant trace ancestors entries
                    inthe OPR in years where there are not gaps in the records.

                    Remember entire generations of men were regularly culled on the battlefield
                    and disproportionately large numbers of women died either in or as a
                    consequence of childbirth. A widower with young children would almost
                    immediately remarry, often to his wife's younger sister or cousin to provide
                    a new mother for his children and would then probably saddle the poor woman
                    with another handful of her own and if she died, he would get another. A man
                    was often having children with several wives over a 30 or 40 year period and
                    frequently was still fathering children when his older children were
                    themselves already having children.

                    The converse was also true. Often a widow left with young children perhaps
                    in her 20's or even as late as early 40's would acquire a new husband, often
                    a man young enough to be her son, who would have his eye on her farm or
                    property which would become his on marriage and then proceed to have even 2
                    or 3 children by her. I have seen cases of women previously widowed with
                    several children in their 40's having more children by their husbands in
                    their 20s and unsurprisingly such women rarely lived to be old and a few
                    years later the younger husband would be taking another wife after her
                    premature death, often as a consequence of a very late pregnancy or
                    childbirth. Within my own family I have numerous cases of multiple marriages
                    in both sexes where there wasn't a single divorce. that is why it is
                    essential you carefully analyse who the witnesses to any child's birth were.
                    almost always they were specially chosen by the father/parents.
                    Mark

                  • Dave Fisher
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 16, 2007
                      My guess is that the Massachusetts Bay Colony and the York County
                      Court (then part of the MBC) took a dimmer view of what the Scottish
                      ex-prisoners took as a norm. The court proceeding fell about halfway
                      between the establishment of the Puritan colony and the later Salem
                      witch trials.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 16, 2007
                        Mark Sutherland-Fisher wrote:

                        >Eleanor,
                        >Sex before marriage was the norm in Scotland and probably England as well
                        >until Queen Victoria and her German morals kicked in!

                        I think that the Puritans had a lot to do with it also.