Re: [ScottishWarPrisoners] looking for Vernor/Vannoy immigrants on the Henry and Francis with Pitlochie

  • D. & C. Fisher
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 9, 2007
      "Directory of Scots Banished to the American Plantations 1650-1775" has the following entry:

      "ROSS GEORGE
      Ross-shire. Cattle thief.
      Transported for 7 years,
      at Inverness 1752"

      Dave Fisher

      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 9, 2007
        HI Eleanor,
        Sure I'll be happy to!
        it's at www.immigrantships.net/v5/1600v5/henryandfrancis16851200
        or you could look at
        www.thereformation.info/passhf.htm
        either one of these sites has the complete manifest on them.
        Happy hunting
        Bren

        Eleanor Hall <eleahall@...> wrote: Hello, Brenda,

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 9, 2007
          Brenda Green wrote:

          > HI Eleanor,
          > Sure I'll be happy to!
          >it's at www.immigrantships.net/v5/1600v5/henryandfrancis16851200

          When I click on the link I get a 404 error, Not Found

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 9, 2007
            I found it. You need to put .html at the end of the
            URL. Thanks, Brenda.

            Eleanor Hall

            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 9, 2007
              Thanks, Dave. The name is right, the date is right. I
              will have to check this out. Family legend has it that
              George Ross was a war prisoner, but this could well be
              an example of the kind of deception that Mark
              mentioned.

              I've heard of this kind of thing in other people's
              family histories. I read of a Swedish immigrant who
              was a juvenile delinquent in Sweden. In the US, he
              passed himself off as an entirely different person who
              lived in his home town in Sweden. He knew enough about
              this other person and his family to be able to tell a
              convincing story.

              Does this mean that if an ancestor was a criminal,
              there would be a good chance of finding him or her in
              court records?

              Eleanor Hall

            • D. & C. Fisher
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 10, 2007
                Eleanor,

                George Ross apparently got someone's attention back there. The "Directory..." (pub. 1983) cites "Scots Magazine" as the source of the information.

                Dave