Re: [ScottishWarPrisoners] looking for Vernor/Vannoy immigrants on the Henry and Francis with Pitlochie

  • D. & C. Fisher
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 8, 2007
      Brenda,

      My documentation only includes those Scots deported to the Americas as POWs (in my case by Cromwell after the Battle of Dunbar - 1650). I have no notation of Van Oy/Vannoy. Sorry for no info.

      Dave Fisher
      City of Williamsburg, VA. USA

      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 8, 2007
        Hello, Brenda,

        No ideas on your search, but could you tell me where
        you found the manifest for the Henry and Francis
        voyage? I'm searching for a possible ancestor, George
        Ross, and I'm wondering if he could have been on that
        ship.

        Eleanor

        --- Brenda <bluidswede@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        > I am looking to find out more about John and Mrs.
        > Vernor (as listed
        > on the manifest then changed to Van Oy/Vannoy) who
        > paid 10 pound (they
        > had not been part of the prisoners who boarded) for
        > their trip on the
        > Henry and Francis that left Perth on Sep. 5 1685
        > with Pitlochie and
        > with Richard Hutton as master. I know my genealogy
        > from then to now
        > but I'm trying to find out about John and Rachel,
        > before they came to
        > the U.S. and settled in Statin Island where they had
        > their family. It
        > has been family tradition that Rachel was a relative
        > of Oliver
        > Cromwell and that there were ties to royal blood but
        > there has never
        > been proof of this. Can someone help me to find out
        > or give me some
        > advice of where to start looking? I've ran up
        > against a brick wall
        > and have no idea where to go from here. It is said
        > that they were
        > Dutch, who then moved to france,then to England over
        > many generations,
        > and then moved onto Scotland to avoid the wars.
        > They were protestant,
        > and it is family tradition that the Vernor/Vannoy
        > descendant fought
        > under Cromwell's banner and fled to Scotland for
        > safety and to come to
        > America. Any help at all is greatly appreciated.
        > Thanks,
        > Brenda

      • D. & C. Fisher
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 9, 2007
          "Directory of Scots Banished to the American Plantations 1650-1775" has the following entry:

          "ROSS GEORGE
          Ross-shire. Cattle thief.
          Transported for 7 years,
          at Inverness 1752"

          Dave Fisher

          --- Brenda <bluidswede@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          > I am looking to find out more about John and Mrs.
          > Vernor (as listed
          > on the manifest then changed to Van Oy/Vannoy) who
          > paid 10 pound (they
          > had not been part of the prisoners who boarded) for
          > their trip on the
          > Henry and Francis that left Perth on Sep. 5 1685
          > with Pitlochie and
          > with Richard Hutton as master. I know my genealogy
          > from then to now
          > but I'm trying to find out about John and Rachel,
          > before they came to
          > the U.S. and settled in Statin Island where they had
          > their family. It
          > has been family tradition that Rachel was a relative
          > of Oliver
          > Cromwell and that there were ties to royal blood but
          > there has never
          > been proof of this. Can someone help me to find out
          > or give me some
          > advice of where to start looking? I've ran up
          > against a brick wall
          > and have no idea where to go from here. It is said
          > that they were
          > Dutch, who then moved to france,then to England over
          > many generations,
          > and then moved onto Scotland to avoid the wars.
          > They were protestant,
          > and it is family tradition that the Vernor/Vannoy
          > descendant fought
          > under Cromwell's banner and fled to Scotland for
          > safety and to come to
          > America. Any help at all is greatly appreciated.
          > Thanks,
          > Brenda

        • Brenda Green
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 9, 2007
            HI Eleanor,
            Sure I'll be happy to!
            it's at www.immigrantships.net/v5/1600v5/henryandfrancis16851200
            or you could look at
            www.thereformation.info/passhf.htm
            either one of these sites has the complete manifest on them.
            Happy hunting
            Bren

            Eleanor Hall <eleahall@...> wrote: Hello, Brenda,

            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 9, 2007
              Brenda Green wrote:

              > HI Eleanor,
              > Sure I'll be happy to!
              >it's at www.immigrantships.net/v5/1600v5/henryandfrancis16851200

              When I click on the link I get a 404 error, Not Found

              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 9, 2007
                I found it. You need to put .html at the end of the
                URL. Thanks, Brenda.

                Eleanor Hall

                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 9, 2007
                  Thanks, Dave. The name is right, the date is right. I
                  will have to check this out. Family legend has it that
                  George Ross was a war prisoner, but this could well be
                  an example of the kind of deception that Mark
                  mentioned.

                  I've heard of this kind of thing in other people's
                  family histories. I read of a Swedish immigrant who
                  was a juvenile delinquent in Sweden. In the US, he
                  passed himself off as an entirely different person who
                  lived in his home town in Sweden. He knew enough about
                  this other person and his family to be able to tell a
                  convincing story.

                  Does this mean that if an ancestor was a criminal,
                  there would be a good chance of finding him or her in
                  court records?

                  Eleanor Hall

                • D. & C. Fisher
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 10, 2007
                    Eleanor,

                    George Ross apparently got someone's attention back there. The "Directory..." (pub. 1983) cites "Scots Magazine" as the source of the information.

                    Dave