Re: My ancestor Daniel Robbins

  • lakeman12002
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 4, 2006
      I have a Daniel Robbins...maybe spelled Robins or Robertson. Said to
      have been captured at the battle of Wocestor. Fighting the dictator
      Cromwell. Sent to colony of Connecticut. When servitude over, moved to
      New Jersey and married a Hope Potter. The Robbins in NJ later joined
      the Quaker faith. Any other data on this Daniel Robbins? Said also to
      be from Blair Atholl, Scotland.

      Steven Russell in Iowa
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 5, 2006
        The only list of Scottish prisoners from the Battle of Worcester that I
        know of is the one for the JOHN and SARAH which sailed from Gravesend in
        Nov 1651 and landed in Boston in April or May 1652.

        In the list there is one Daniel (--?--) and a Daniel Robinson.

        There are a number of references to Daniel Robbins in the NEHGR Index
        (Vol 1-1 50) and one for Daniel Robertson.

        When and where do you first find Daniel Robbins in Connecticut from what
        source?

        What is the source for your Daniel being from Blair Atholl?

        bob gillis

        lakeman12002 wrote:

        >I have a Daniel Robbins...maybe spelled Robins or Robertson. Said to
        >have been captured at the battle of Wocestor. Fighting the dictator
        >Cromwell. Sent to colony of Connecticut. When servitude over, moved to
        >New Jersey and married a Hope Potter. The Robbins in NJ later joined
        >the Quaker faith. Any other data on this Daniel Robbins? Said also to
        >be from Blair Atholl, Scotland.
        >
        >Steven Russell in Iowa
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Steve
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 5, 2006
          BOB: Thanks for the message and the inquiry.

          I have been researching my Robbins line quite a long time. The name Robbins was thought to be English. However, now believe it to be of Scottish origin. Traced the name back through to New Jersey to Quakers. It was there I was in contact with a number of other descendants: Gary Robbins, Lanny Robbins, Brian Robbins, and a Sara Robbins Hoffman who wrote a pamphlet called: THE EXILE OF DANIEL ROBBINS. In it, she ties Daniel Robbins to Robertsons of Scotland. Daniel Robbins put on auction block in Mass. Buyer went to Conn. His family members became Quakers; however, seems he himself did not. (my grandparents married in the Quaker church here in Iowa.)

          The Robbins name has been spelled in various ways...Robbins, Robins, Roebens, etc. But dates do match up.

          Daniel Robbins/Robertson born 1627 Blair Atholl, Scotland. Married 3 Feb. 1662/1663 in New Haven, Conn. Died 1687 Monmouth, New Jersey.They had 10 children. Some descendants went to western Penn. From there, a John Robbins married Eliz. Bronson and came to Iowa in 1850. Their 6 sons found there way into Iowa civil war regiments...4 in 20th. Iowa and 2 in the 9th. Iowa. I am a descendant of the oldest...James Robbins of the 20th. Iowa.

          Sara Robbins Hoffman very fine lady... july37@...

          Steven Russell