Re: [ScottishWarPrisoners] GOLD Family

  • Bill Eye
    Message 1 of 4 , May 22, 2006
      bob gillis wrote:
      > The Scottish soldiers that were deported to America were captured by the
      > Cromwell forces at the Battles of Dunbar and Worcester. the Worcester
      > captives were on the John and Sarah which departed Gravesend in Nov
      > 1651 arrived in Boston before 14 May 1652. There is no one in the John
      > and Sara list with a name like one of yours.
      >
      > I do not think there was a passenger list of the dunbar capives on the
      > Unity but most went to the Iron Works in Saugus, then Lynn, or
      > Braintree. There are references to those some of those men in the Iron
      > Works papers and the Vital Records of Essex County.
      >
      > the Golds/Goulds in the Essex County VRs are after 1700. There was a
      > Zaccheus Gould probably of Lynn mentioned in the Essex County Probate in
      > 1644 and later. There were several Zaccheus Gould's in the late 1600s.
      > Some are probably the same man as he moved from town to town but no
      > records connect them..
      >
      > bob gillis
      >
      > Bill Eye wrote:

      G'day Bob,

      Such a quick response!

      Thanks for the resume, I suppose on the face of things, it is unlikely
      that there were any of my people involved or that I would have any real
      chance of tracing them.

      But I will stay on the List for a while, just in case something
      evolves.....and at least I am learning something!

      Thanks,

      Bill