Re: [ScottishWarPrisoners] GOLD Family

    Message 1 of 4 , May 22, 2006
      Hi,
      I haven't done much with this group in a while, I've
      been getting lots of junk mail through this list. But
      I wonder if there were any Abernathy/Abernethys on the
      John and Sara? I have some info on Robert Abernathy
      coming from the Cathedral where many pows were held
      after the Battles of Dunbar/Worcester, and being sent
      over here to Charles City?-Ericka

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Bill Eye
      Message 2 of 4 , May 22, 2006
        bob gillis wrote:
        > The Scottish soldiers that were deported to America were captured by the
        > Cromwell forces at the Battles of Dunbar and Worcester. the Worcester
        > captives were on the John and Sarah which departed Gravesend in Nov
        > 1651 arrived in Boston before 14 May 1652. There is no one in the John
        > and Sara list with a name like one of yours.
        >
        > I do not think there was a passenger list of the dunbar capives on the
        > Unity but most went to the Iron Works in Saugus, then Lynn, or
        > Braintree. There are references to those some of those men in the Iron
        > Works papers and the Vital Records of Essex County.
        >
        > the Golds/Goulds in the Essex County VRs are after 1700. There was a
        > Zaccheus Gould probably of Lynn mentioned in the Essex County Probate in
        > 1644 and later. There were several Zaccheus Gould's in the late 1600s.
        > Some are probably the same man as he moved from town to town but no
        > records connect them..
        >
        > bob gillis
        >
        > Bill Eye wrote:

        G'day Bob,

        Such a quick response!

        Thanks for the resume, I suppose on the face of things, it is unlikely
        that there were any of my people involved or that I would have any real
        chance of tracing them.

        But I will stay on the List for a while, just in case something
        evolves.....and at least I am learning something!

        Thanks,

        Bill