Re: [ScottishWarPrisoners] GOLD Family

    Message 1 of 4 , May 22, 2006
      The Scottish soldiers that were deported to America were captured by the
      Cromwell forces at the Battles of Dunbar and Worcester. the Worcester
      captives were on the John and Sarah which departed Gravesend in Nov
      1651 arrived in Boston before 14 May 1652. There is no one in the John
      and Sara list with a name like one of yours.

      I do not think there was a passenger list of the dunbar capives on the
      Unity but most went to the Iron Works in Saugus, then Lynn, or
      Braintree. There are references to those some of those men in the Iron
      Works papers and the Vital Records of Essex County.

      the Golds/Goulds in the Essex County VRs are after 1700. There was a
      Zaccheus Gould probably of Lynn mentioned in the Essex County Probate in
      1644 and later. There were several Zaccheus Gould's in the late 1600s.
      Some are probably the same man as he moved from town to town but no
      records connect them..

      bob gillis

      Message 2 of 4 , May 22, 2006
        Hi,
        I haven't done much with this group in a while, I've
        been getting lots of junk mail through this list. But
        I wonder if there were any Abernathy/Abernethys on the
        John and Sara? I have some info on Robert Abernathy
        coming from the Cathedral where many pows were held
        after the Battles of Dunbar/Worcester, and being sent
        over here to Charles City?-Ericka

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Bill Eye
        Message 3 of 4 , May 22, 2006
          bob gillis wrote:
          > The Scottish soldiers that were deported to America were captured by the
          > Cromwell forces at the Battles of Dunbar and Worcester. the Worcester
          > captives were on the John and Sarah which departed Gravesend in Nov
          > 1651 arrived in Boston before 14 May 1652. There is no one in the John
          > and Sara list with a name like one of yours.
          >
          > I do not think there was a passenger list of the dunbar capives on the
          > Unity but most went to the Iron Works in Saugus, then Lynn, or
          > Braintree. There are references to those some of those men in the Iron
          > Works papers and the Vital Records of Essex County.
          >
          > the Golds/Goulds in the Essex County VRs are after 1700. There was a
          > Zaccheus Gould probably of Lynn mentioned in the Essex County Probate in
          > 1644 and later. There were several Zaccheus Gould's in the late 1600s.
          > Some are probably the same man as he moved from town to town but no
          > records connect them..
          >
          > bob gillis
          >
          > Bill Eye wrote:

          G'day Bob,

          Such a quick response!

          Thanks for the resume, I suppose on the face of things, it is unlikely
          that there were any of my people involved or that I would have any real
          chance of tracing them.

          But I will stay on the List for a while, just in case something
          evolves.....and at least I am learning something!

          Thanks,

          Bill