GOLD Family

  • Bill Eye
    Message 1 of 4 , May 21, 2006
      G'day!

      I have just joined the List and am a little unsure of whether I can
      benefit or assist.

      I am researching the name of GUIL/GUILE/GOLD as the name was recorded in
      the Parish Registers at Douglas in Lanarkshire, Scotland. The name was
      obviously seated in the town well before the extant records reveal and
      the male members were predominantly miners at Rigside.

      I have seen several references to the fact that these Douglas/Rigside
      people staunchly supported the Covenanter movement. I suppose I am now
      looking for guidance to extend my knowledge of the family through the
      possibility that some may have been captured and sent to America,
      thereby creating some gaps in families and sudden cessation of children
      in others.

      Can anyone assist me?

      Bill
      Melbourne, Oz
      Message 2 of 4 , May 22, 2006
        The Scottish soldiers that were deported to America were captured by the
        Cromwell forces at the Battles of Dunbar and Worcester. the Worcester
        captives were on the John and Sarah which departed Gravesend in Nov
        1651 arrived in Boston before 14 May 1652. There is no one in the John
        and Sara list with a name like one of yours.

        I do not think there was a passenger list of the dunbar capives on the
        Unity but most went to the Iron Works in Saugus, then Lynn, or
        Braintree. There are references to those some of those men in the Iron
        Works papers and the Vital Records of Essex County.

        the Golds/Goulds in the Essex County VRs are after 1700. There was a
        Zaccheus Gould probably of Lynn mentioned in the Essex County Probate in
        1644 and later. There were several Zaccheus Gould's in the late 1600s.
        Some are probably the same man as he moved from town to town but no
        records connect them..

        bob gillis

        Message 3 of 4 , May 22, 2006
          Hi,
          I haven't done much with this group in a while, I've
          been getting lots of junk mail through this list. But
          I wonder if there were any Abernathy/Abernethys on the
          John and Sara? I have some info on Robert Abernathy
          coming from the Cathedral where many pows were held
          after the Battles of Dunbar/Worcester, and being sent
          over here to Charles City?-Ericka

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Bill Eye
          Message 4 of 4 , May 22, 2006
            bob gillis wrote:
            > The Scottish soldiers that were deported to America were captured by the
            > Cromwell forces at the Battles of Dunbar and Worcester. the Worcester
            > captives were on the John and Sarah which departed Gravesend in Nov
            > 1651 arrived in Boston before 14 May 1652. There is no one in the John
            > and Sara list with a name like one of yours.
            >
            > I do not think there was a passenger list of the dunbar capives on the
            > Unity but most went to the Iron Works in Saugus, then Lynn, or
            > Braintree. There are references to those some of those men in the Iron
            > Works papers and the Vital Records of Essex County.
            >
            > the Golds/Goulds in the Essex County VRs are after 1700. There was a
            > Zaccheus Gould probably of Lynn mentioned in the Essex County Probate in
            > 1644 and later. There were several Zaccheus Gould's in the late 1600s.
            > Some are probably the same man as he moved from town to town but no
            > records connect them..
            >
            > bob gillis
            >
            > Bill Eye wrote:

            G'day Bob,

            Such a quick response!

            Thanks for the resume, I suppose on the face of things, it is unlikely
            that there were any of my people involved or that I would have any real
            chance of tracing them.

            But I will stay on the List for a while, just in case something
            evolves.....and at least I am learning something!

            Thanks,

            Bill