Re: 1715 Rebellion

  • Dave Fisher
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 22, 2005
      Leila,

      First, a quick Google search indicated that Marshalsea Prison was in
      London, Borough High Street, Southwark SE1.

      In the previously noted directory of Scots banished to America, there
      are many persons noted as captured at Preston in the Rebellion of
      1715. For the most part, all the directory entries read as follows:

      "NAME
      Jacobite captured at Preston.
      Transported to Virginia or Jamaica on the ELIZABETH
      AND ANNE, master Edward Trafford, from Liverpool
      29 June 1716. Landed in Virginia."

      A few entries (same voyage) include "York" Virginia. Some entries
      indicate that the person was indentured, while a couple have other
      amplifying information.

      The list of men on the ELIZABETH AND ANNE is as follows:
      Abercromby, John; Abbot, Frederick; Anderson, Robert; Arnott, David;
      Ayston, James; Beatty, Francis; Blackwood, James; Brown, John;
      Bruce, Alexander; Bruce, Robert; Burne, John; Cane, Hugh; Carr,
      Alexander; Carus, Christopher; Chisholm, Adam; Clark, Duncan;
      Copeland, Robert; Craster, William; Donaldson, John; Donaldson,
      Thomas; Donaldson, William; Dunbar, John; Duncan, Robert; Dunn,
      William; Ferguson, Alexander; Ferguson, Donald; Ferguson, James;
      Ferguson, Lawrence; Ferguson, Patrick; Finlay, William; Finney,
      Robert; Foster, Thomas; Glendenning, John; Graham, Fergus; Grant,
      Robert; Harris, John; Henderson, Charles; Holland, Thomas; Home,
      Francis; Hunter, John; Johnston, James; Johnston, John; Johnston,
      Robert; Kennedy, John; Kerr, John; Kerr, Robert; Kidd, Alexander;
      Lindsay, James; Lyon, William; McBean, John; McCullon, John;
      McGiliveray, Daniel; McGillivray, William; McGruther, William;
      McIntosh, James; McIntosh, James; McIntosh, John; McIntosh, John;
      McIntosh, Thomas; McKenney, Alexander; McLoughlan, Archibald;
      McNaughton, Malcom; McPhail, Duncan; McPherson, Owen; McQuin, Duncan
      or Daniel; Malcom, James; MarJorybanks, George; Martin, William;
      Maxwell, William; Menzies, Archibald; Menzies, Robert; Mitchey, John;
      Mitchell, David; Mondell, John; Murray, James; Nisbet, James; Noble,
      William; Ogilvy, John; Patterson, James; Pattullo, James or John;
      Peter, James; Petter, John; Porteous, John; Prophet, Sylvester; Rae,
      James; Reid of Mid Clova, Robert; Robinson, James; Robinson, John;
      Robinson, Robert; Rutherford, George; Rutherford, John; Rutherford,
      John; Shaw, Donald; Shaw, John; Smith, Charles; Smith, Robert;
      Stewart, Alexander; Stewart, Alexander; Stewart, Donald; Stewart,
      James; Stewart, John; Stewart, John; Stewart, John; Stewart, John;
      Stewart, Malcom; Stewart, Patrick; Stewart, Robert; Stewart, Robert;
      Stroak (Sturrock?), James; Stuart, Robert; Tankard, Walter; Thompson,
      Daniel; Turner, William; Urquhart, James; Watson, James; Watson,
      James; Watt, Alexander; White, Alexander; White, John; Wright, William

      The above information was compiled from the Calendar of Treasury
      Books, State Papers (Colonial), and Calendar of Virginia State Papers.

      In regard to spelling, David Dobson (or perhaps the records) did not
      distinguish between "MacXXX" and "McXXX"; they are all spelled as the
      later.

      Dave Fisher

      --- In ScottishWarPrisoners@yahoogroups.com, "Leila Boyer"
      <boyerlo@g...> wrote:

      > Hello,
      > I may have posed this question several years ago, but thought
      it's worth another try in case there are new members with new
      information.
      > Does anyone have info about prisoners after the 1715 rebellion
      who were sent to Marshalsea Prison and then sent to Virginia? Some
      were indentured and others were not. I am particularly interested
      about those who shipped out on the Elizabeth and Ann and landed in
      Yorktown in January of 1716. Also, does anyone know where the
      Marshalsea Prison records are kept or if any have survived?
      > Thanks!

    • Leila Boyer
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 22, 2005
        Thanks so much, Dave, you deserve a medal. I am familiar with the Calendar
        of Va. State Papers entry, and some related data noted there that discussed
        the fact that some prisoners (who evidently were not included in that list)
        who paid Trafford to let them off the ship in Cork! So much for a vacation
        in the colonies. Do you have any suggestions for sources that might expand
        on the records from Marshalsea? (I think its the prison Dickens wrote about
        in Little Dorrit.) I've done a good bit of research on the 1715 in
        Edinburgh, but haven't tackled British records (presumably at Kew.) Any
        ideas?
> [...]
        > distinguish between "MacXXX" and "McXXX"; they are all spelled as the
        > later.
        >
        > Dave Fisher
        >
        > --- In ScottishWarPrisoners@yahoogroups.com, "Leila Boyer"
        > <boyerlo@g...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hello,
        > > I may have posed this question several years ago, but thought
        > it's worth another try in case there are new members with new
        > information.
        > > Does anyone have info about prisoners after the 1715 rebellion
        > who were sent to Marshalsea Prison and then sent to Virginia? Some
        > were indentured and others were not. I am particularly interested
        > about those who shipped out on the Elizabeth and Ann and landed in
        > Yorktown in January of 1716. Also, does anyone know where the
        > Marshalsea Prison records are kept or if any have survived?

      • Dave Fisher
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 23, 2005
          Leila,

          Sorry, no ideas about Marshalsea.