1715 Rebellion

  • Leila Boyer
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 22, 2005
      Hello,
      I may have posed this question several years ago, but thought it's worth another try in case there are new members with new information.
      Does anyone have info about prisoners after the 1715 rebellion who were sent to Marshalsea Prison and then sent to Virginia? Some were indentured and others were not. I am particularly interested about those who shipped out on the Elizabeth and Ann and landed in Yorktown in January of 1716. Also, does anyone know where the Marshalsea Prison records are kept or if any have survived?
      Thanks!

    • Dave Fisher
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 22, 2005
        Leila,

        First, a quick Google search indicated that Marshalsea Prison was in
        London, Borough High Street, Southwark SE1.

        In the previously noted directory of Scots banished to America, there
        are many persons noted as captured at Preston in the Rebellion of
        1715. For the most part, all the directory entries read as follows:

        "NAME
        Jacobite captured at Preston.
        Transported to Virginia or Jamaica on the ELIZABETH
        AND ANNE, master Edward Trafford, from Liverpool
        29 June 1716. Landed in Virginia."

        A few entries (same voyage) include "York" Virginia. Some entries
        indicate that the person was indentured, while a couple have other
        amplifying information.

        The list of men on the ELIZABETH AND ANNE is as follows:
        Abercromby, John; Abbot, Frederick; Anderson, Robert; Arnott, David;
        Ayston, James; Beatty, Francis; Blackwood, James; Brown, John;
        Bruce, Alexander; Bruce, Robert; Burne, John; Cane, Hugh; Carr,
        Alexander; Carus, Christopher; Chisholm, Adam; Clark, Duncan;
        Copeland, Robert; Craster, William; Donaldson, John; Donaldson,
        Thomas; Donaldson, William; Dunbar, John; Duncan, Robert; Dunn,
        William; Ferguson, Alexander; Ferguson, Donald; Ferguson, James;
        Ferguson, Lawrence; Ferguson, Patrick; Finlay, William; Finney,
        Robert; Foster, Thomas; Glendenning, John; Graham, Fergus; Grant,
        Robert; Harris, John; Henderson, Charles; Holland, Thomas; Home,
        Francis; Hunter, John; Johnston, James; Johnston, John; Johnston,
        Robert; Kennedy, John; Kerr, John; Kerr, Robert; Kidd, Alexander;
        Lindsay, James; Lyon, William; McBean, John; McCullon, John;
        McGiliveray, Daniel; McGillivray, William; McGruther, William;
        McIntosh, James; McIntosh, James; McIntosh, John; McIntosh, John;
        McIntosh, Thomas; McKenney, Alexander; McLoughlan, Archibald;
        McNaughton, Malcom; McPhail, Duncan; McPherson, Owen; McQuin, Duncan
        or Daniel; Malcom, James; MarJorybanks, George; Martin, William;
        Maxwell, William; Menzies, Archibald; Menzies, Robert; Mitchey, John;
        Mitchell, David; Mondell, John; Murray, James; Nisbet, James; Noble,
        William; Ogilvy, John; Patterson, James; Pattullo, James or John;
        Peter, James; Petter, John; Porteous, John; Prophet, Sylvester; Rae,
        James; Reid of Mid Clova, Robert; Robinson, James; Robinson, John;
        Robinson, Robert; Rutherford, George; Rutherford, John; Rutherford,
        John; Shaw, Donald; Shaw, John; Smith, Charles; Smith, Robert;
        Stewart, Alexander; Stewart, Alexander; Stewart, Donald; Stewart,
        James; Stewart, John; Stewart, John; Stewart, John; Stewart, John;
        Stewart, Malcom; Stewart, Patrick; Stewart, Robert; Stewart, Robert;
        Stroak (Sturrock?), James; Stuart, Robert; Tankard, Walter; Thompson,
        Daniel; Turner, William; Urquhart, James; Watson, James; Watson,
        James; Watt, Alexander; White, Alexander; White, John; Wright, William

        The above information was compiled from the Calendar of Treasury
        Books, State Papers (Colonial), and Calendar of Virginia State Papers.

        In regard to spelling, David Dobson (or perhaps the records) did not
        distinguish between "MacXXX" and "McXXX"; they are all spelled as the
        later.

        Dave Fisher

        --- In ScottishWarPrisoners@yahoogroups.com, "Leila Boyer"
        <boyerlo@g...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        > I may have posed this question several years ago, but thought
        it's worth another try in case there are new members with new
        information.
        > Does anyone have info about prisoners after the 1715 rebellion
        who were sent to Marshalsea Prison and then sent to Virginia? Some
        were indentured and others were not. I am particularly interested
        about those who shipped out on the Elizabeth and Ann and landed in
        Yorktown in January of 1716. Also, does anyone know where the
        Marshalsea Prison records are kept or if any have survived?
        > Thanks!

      • Leila Boyer
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 22, 2005
          Thanks so much, Dave, you deserve a medal. I am familiar with the Calendar
          of Va. State Papers entry, and some related data noted there that discussed
          the fact that some prisoners (who evidently were not included in that list)
          who paid Trafford to let them off the ship in Cork! So much for a vacation
          in the colonies. Do you have any suggestions for sources that might expand
          on the records from Marshalsea? (I think its the prison Dickens wrote about
          in Little Dorrit.) I've done a good bit of research on the 1715 in
          Edinburgh, but haven't tackled British records (presumably at Kew.) Any
          ideas?
> [...]
          > distinguish between "MacXXX" and "McXXX"; they are all spelled as the
          > later.
          >
          > Dave Fisher
          >
          > --- In ScottishWarPrisoners@yahoogroups.com, "Leila Boyer"
          > <boyerlo@g...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello,
          > > I may have posed this question several years ago, but thought
          > it's worth another try in case there are new members with new
          > information.
          > > Does anyone have info about prisoners after the 1715 rebellion
          > who were sent to Marshalsea Prison and then sent to Virginia? Some
          > were indentured and others were not. I am particularly interested
          > about those who shipped out on the Elizabeth and Ann and landed in
          > Yorktown in January of 1716. Also, does anyone know where the
          > Marshalsea Prison records are kept or if any have survived?

        • Dave Fisher
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 23, 2005
            Leila,

            Sorry, no ideas about Marshalsea.