Re: Book - Directory of Scots Banished to American Plantations

  • Dave Fisher
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 20, 2005
      Susan,

      An entry for Walter Jackson reads:

      "JACKSON WALTER
      Royalist soldier captured at
      Worcester. Thansported on the
      JOHN AND SARAH, master John
      Greene, from Gravesend to
      Boston 13 May 1652"

      Information from The New England Historical and Geneological Register.

      Best Regards,
      Dave Fisher
      City of Williamsburg, VA
      --- In ScottishWarPrisoners@yahoogroups.com, SusanG1400@a... wrote:

      > This message is for Mr. Dave Fisher.
      >
      > Dear Mr. Dave Fisher,
      >

      > On November 18, 2005 you posted a message stating that
      information
      > about many Scots war prisoners who were sent to North America on
      the ship John
      > and Sarah can be found in the book Directory of Scots Banished to
      the
      > American Plantations 1650-1775 by David Dobson.
      > I do not own this book. If you own it, could you please
      look up in
      > your copy and send me any information this book contains about
      Walter Jackson?
      > He fought at the battle of Worcester on September 3, 1651 for
      Charles
      > Stewart and was taken prisoner. Walter Jackson was sent on the
      ship John and Sarah
      > to Boston, Massachusetts Bay Colony. He worked as an indentured
      servant for
      > Mr. Nicholas Lissen at his sawmill in Exeter, New Hampshire and for
      Mr.
      > Valentine Hill at his sawmill in Oyster River (now Durham), New
      Hampshire. Walter

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 20, 2005
        Walter Jackson is listed in the transcript of the lettter from Robert
        Rich and William Geene to Thomas Kenble instructing the latter to
        dispose of the men and to buy goods for trade in the Barbadoes. Letter
        recorded by the Suffolk County Registrar of Deeds on 13 May 1652. There
        are no residences for any of the ~150 men.

        Tthis letter and list of men was in the NEHGR Vol 1, page 377, Oct 1847
        and has been reproduced in other web sites and books.

        bob gillis

        In addition to Water there were James and Rchard and Patricke Jacson.

        SusanG1400@... wrote:

        >This message is for Mr. Dave Fisher.
        >
        >Dear Mr. Dave Fisher,
        >

        > On November 18, 2005 you posted a message stating that information
        >about many Scots war prisoners who were sent to North America on the ship John
        >and Sarah can be found in the book Directory of Scots Banished to the
        >American Plantations 1650-1775 by David Dobson.
        > I do not own this book. If you own it, could you please look up in
        >your copy and send me any information this book contains about Walter Jackson?
        > He fought at the battle of Worcester on September 3, 1651 for Charles
        >Stewart and was taken prisoner. Walter Jackson was sent on the ship John and Sarah
        >to Boston, Massachusetts Bay Colony. He worked as an indentured servant for
        >Mr. Nicholas Lissen at his sawmill in Exeter, New Hampshire and for Mr.
        >Valentine Hill at his sawmill in Oyster River (now Durham), New Hampshire. Walter
        >Jackson died in Oyster River around 1683.
        > My 84-year-old mother is descended from Walter Jackson and we are
        >trying to find out where in Scotland he was born.
        > Could you please xerox any information the book contains about Walter
        >Jackson and mail it to me? My address is:
        >
        > Ms. Susan M. Grady
        > 6330 Hillcrest Place
        > Alexandria, Virginia 22312
        >
        > Thank you. I would be very glad to pay you for the cost of xeroxing
        >and mailing me this information if it is necessary.
        >
        >Sincerely,
        >

        >Susan M. Grady

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • merle gordon
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 21, 2005
          Bob,

          My grandfather Alexander Gordon was a prisoner from the same war, and married Lissan's daughter. Small world.
          Merle

          SusanG1400@... wrote:

          >This message is for Mr. Dave Fisher.
          >
          >Dear Mr. Dave Fisher,
          >

          > On November 18, 2005 you posted a message stating that information
          >about many Scots war prisoners who were sent to North America on the ship John
          >and Sarah can be found in the book Directory of Scots Banished to the
          >American Plantations 1650-1775 by David Dobson.
          > I do not own this book. If you own it, could you please look up in
          >your copy and send me any information this book contains about Walter Jackson?
          > He fought at the battle of Worcester on September 3, 1651 for Charles
          >Stewart and was taken prisoner. Walter Jackson was sent on the ship John and Sarah
          >to Boston, Massachusetts Bay Colony. He worked as an indentured servant for
          >Mr. Nicholas Lissen at his sawmill in Exeter, New Hampshire and for Mr.
          >Valentine Hill at his sawmill in Oyster River (now Durham), New Hampshire. Walter
          >Jackson died in Oyster River around 1683.
          > My 84-year-old mother is descended from Walter Jackson and we are
          >trying to find out where in Scotland he was born.
          > Could you please xerox any information the book contains about Walter
          >Jackson and mail it to me? My address is:
          >
          > Ms. Susan M. Grady
          > 6330 Hillcrest Place
          > Alexandria, Virginia 22312
          >
          > Thank you. I would be very glad to pay you for the cost of xeroxing
          >and mailing me this information if it is necessary.
          >
          >Sincerely,
          >

          >Susan M. Grady

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

          American family home insurance American family home insurance company American family home owner insurance Prisoners of war Multi family home for sale Single family home for sale