Re: Book - Directory of Scots Banished to American Plantations

  • SusanG1400@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 20, 2005
      This message is for Mr. Dave Fisher.

      Dear Mr. Dave Fisher,

      On November 18, 2005 you posted a message stating that information
      about many Scots war prisoners who were sent to North America on the ship John
      and Sarah can be found in the book Directory of Scots Banished to the
      American Plantations 1650-1775 by David Dobson.
      I do not own this book. If you own it, could you please look up in
      your copy and send me any information this book contains about Walter Jackson?
      He fought at the battle of Worcester on September 3, 1651 for Charles
      Stewart and was taken prisoner. Walter Jackson was sent on the ship John and Sarah
      to Boston, Massachusetts Bay Colony. He worked as an indentured servant for
      Mr. Nicholas Lissen at his sawmill in Exeter, New Hampshire and for Mr.
      Valentine Hill at his sawmill in Oyster River (now Durham), New Hampshire. Walter
      Jackson died in Oyster River around 1683.
      My 84-year-old mother is descended from Walter Jackson and we are
      trying to find out where in Scotland he was born.
      Could you please xerox any information the book contains about Walter
      Jackson and mail it to me? My address is:

      Ms. Susan M. Grady
      6330 Hillcrest Place
      Alexandria, Virginia 22312

      Thank you. I would be very glad to pay you for the cost of xeroxing
      and mailing me this information if it is necessary.

      Sincerely,

      Susan M. Grady

    • Dave Fisher
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 20, 2005
        Susan,

        An entry for Walter Jackson reads:

        "JACKSON WALTER
        Royalist soldier captured at
        Worcester. Thansported on the
        JOHN AND SARAH, master John
        Greene, from Gravesend to
        Boston 13 May 1652"

        Information from The New England Historical and Geneological Register.

        Best Regards,
        Dave Fisher
        City of Williamsburg, VA

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 20, 2005
          Walter Jackson is listed in the transcript of the lettter from Robert
          Rich and William Geene to Thomas Kenble instructing the latter to
          dispose of the men and to buy goods for trade in the Barbadoes. Letter
          recorded by the Suffolk County Registrar of Deeds on 13 May 1652. There
          are no residences for any of the ~150 men.

          Tthis letter and list of men was in the NEHGR Vol 1, page 377, Oct 1847
          and has been reproduced in other web sites and books.

          bob gillis

          In addition to Water there were James and Rchard and Patricke Jacson.

          SusanG1400@... wrote:

          >This message is for Mr. Dave Fisher.
          >
          >Dear Mr. Dave Fisher,
          >

          > On November 18, 2005 you posted a message stating that information
          >about many Scots war prisoners who were sent to North America on the ship John
          >and Sarah can be found in the book Directory of Scots Banished to the
          >American Plantations 1650-1775 by David Dobson.
          > I do not own this book. If you own it, could you please look up in
          >your copy and send me any information this book contains about Walter Jackson?
          > He fought at the battle of Worcester on September 3, 1651 for Charles
          >Stewart and was taken prisoner. Walter Jackson was sent on the ship John and Sarah
          >to Boston, Massachusetts Bay Colony. He worked as an indentured servant for
          >Mr. Nicholas Lissen at his sawmill in Exeter, New Hampshire and for Mr.
          >Valentine Hill at his sawmill in Oyster River (now Durham), New Hampshire. Walter
          >Jackson died in Oyster River around 1683.
          > My 84-year-old mother is descended from Walter Jackson and we are
          >trying to find out where in Scotland he was born.
          > Could you please xerox any information the book contains about Walter
          >Jackson and mail it to me? My address is:
          >
          > Ms. Susan M. Grady
          > 6330 Hillcrest Place
          > Alexandria, Virginia 22312
          >
          > Thank you. I would be very glad to pay you for the cost of xeroxing
          >and mailing me this information if it is necessary.
          >
          >Sincerely,
          >

          >Susan M. Grady

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • merle gordon
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 21, 2005
            Bob,

            My grandfather Alexander Gordon was a prisoner from the same war, and married Lissan's daughter. Small world.
            Merle

            SusanG1400@... wrote:

            >This message is for Mr. Dave Fisher.
            >
            >Dear Mr. Dave Fisher,
            >

            > On November 18, 2005 you posted a message stating that information
            >about many Scots war prisoners who were sent to North America on the ship John
            >and Sarah can be found in the book Directory of Scots Banished to the
            >American Plantations 1650-1775 by David Dobson.
            > I do not own this book. If you own it, could you please look up in
            >your copy and send me any information this book contains about Walter Jackson?
            > He fought at the battle of Worcester on September 3, 1651 for Charles
            >Stewart and was taken prisoner. Walter Jackson was sent on the ship John and Sarah
            >to Boston, Massachusetts Bay Colony. He worked as an indentured servant for
            >Mr. Nicholas Lissen at his sawmill in Exeter, New Hampshire and for Mr.
            >Valentine Hill at his sawmill in Oyster River (now Durham), New Hampshire. Walter
            >Jackson died in Oyster River around 1683.
            > My 84-year-old mother is descended from Walter Jackson and we are
            >trying to find out where in Scotland he was born.
            > Could you please xerox any information the book contains about Walter
            >Jackson and mail it to me? My address is:
            >
            > Ms. Susan M. Grady
            > 6330 Hillcrest Place
            > Alexandria, Virginia 22312
            >
            > Thank you. I would be very glad to pay you for the cost of xeroxing
            >and mailing me this information if it is necessary.
            >
            >Sincerely,
            >

            >Susan M. Grady

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

            American family home insurance American family home insurance company American family home owner insurance Prisoners of war Multi family home for sale Single family home for sale