Re: RE:Battle of Dunbar

  • Dave Fisher
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 18, 2005
      Unfortunately, no McHoe, or anything close appears in the book. Many
      entries concerning the ship JOHN AND SARAH though.

      The only Abernathy (Abernethy) noted is:

      "ABERNETHY JANET
      Daughter of William Abernethy
      deceased, in Old Manse of Foveran. Petty thief. Banished
      at Aberdeen. Transported on
      BETSY, master James Ramsay.
      Landed Port of James River
      Upper District 29 April 1772"

      Thus is the typical entry in the book. The James River is in
      Virginia, and the "Upper District" could be no further inland than
      the Fall Line at Richmond.

      Directory of Scots Banished to the American Plantations 1650-1775
      by David Dobson
      Geneological Publishing Co., Baltimore, 1983
      ISBN 0-8063-1035-9, LCCN 83-81052

      Sorry no more information. My guy isn't in it either.

      Dave

      --- In ScottishWarPrisoners@yahoogroups.com, Ericka Morgan
      <erickawaymorgan@y...> wrote:

      > Dave,
      > Wow, where'd you find that book? Could you look for Robert
      Abernathy while you are at it? If anyone could every circulate such
      a list, it would be wonderful. I know that Robert Abernathy was
      inthe Battle of Dunbar and the Battle of Worcester, and that he came
      over in or around 1652. He was an indentured servant for several
      years and then began a long history of farming in Brunswick County,
      Virginia. If you see an Abernathy (or Abernethy) on the list, please
      let me know!-Ericka Morgan

      > Dave Fisher <stonehorse148@y...> wrote:
      > Jan,
      >
      > There is no known ship list for the UNITY, at least on this side of
      > the pond. The Saugus Iron works may have some information, or
      > leads. I am not at home in VA now, but I have a book listing
      > Scottish prisoners, and includes prisoners transported in JOHN &
      > SARAH. I'll check it out when I get back.
      >
      > Dave (of George Gray)
      >
      > --- In ScottishWarPrisoners@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Highman"
      > <medievaltents@h...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Dave,
      > >
      > > Thank you for joining the list. My ancestor was Daniel Cone. We
      > don't know
      > > if his name was changed, he may have been the Daniel McHoe on the
      > John and
      > > Sara (I believe, the ship of prisoners from the Battle of
      > Worcester). Our
      > > family history is that he was taken in the Battle of Dunbar. We
      > found a
      > > reference that he was born in Edinburgh, but I think that was
      > assumed from
      > > his death certificate (Haddam CT). I appreciate what you have
      > added about
      > > the history of the men fighting at Dunbar. I had not heard that
      > Gen Leslie
      > > raised the troops from the lowlands. Do you have any more gems?
      > Is there a
      > > passenger manifest for the Unity?
      > >

      > > Jan (Cone) Highman
      > >

      > > >I too am a direct relative of George Gray on my mother's side
      > > >(grandmother Myrtle Gray (decd.) of Georgetown, MA). I realize
      > that
      > > >the early affairs of G.G. are a bit hazy (gray!?). While poking
      > > >about for information, I came up on the comprehensive Cederman
      > > >geneology ( http://www.cederman.com/genealogy/ ) with notations
      of
      > > >(the?) Gray family. Within it I note that a Lord Patrick Gray
      was
      > > >born in the Dundee/Perthshire area in 1538. His son, William is
      > also
      > > >noted as being in the area as Sheriff of Forfar and then Burgess
      of
      > > >Dundee 1589-1590. No dates of birth or death in given.
      William's
      > > >son was Andrew, who also died in the area (at Pitscandly, near
      > > >Forfar), no date given. Andrew had one son, GEORGE. No other
      > > >information is noted for George, and there are no other George
      > Grays
      > > >listed in any near period. If you allow a standard of 25 years
      > > >between generations beginning with Lord Patrick G., George G.
      would
      > > >have been born in the first quarter of the 1600s, and in his mid-
      > 30s
      > > >at the time of the Battle of Dunbar. That George left no
      progeny,
      > > >and is not listed as dying in Scotland. Maybe sent off in the
      > > >UNITY? Who knows?
      > > >
      > > >The Grays have been claimed as a sept of the Southerland clan
      (far
      > > >northeast Scotland), but the history of the Battle of Dunbar is
      > that
      > > >the highland clans did not participate, and that General Lesley
      > > >raised his Covenenter Army in the lowlands - Dundee and
      Perthshire
      > > >being quite close to the north across the River Tay.
      > > >
      > > >So, it is not unreasonable to speculate that Cederman's George G.
      > > >could have been the one in the right place at the right time.
      > Maybe
      > > >there is a paper-trail somewhere in the Forfar/Pitscandly area.
      > > >
      > > >Dave Fisher

      > American family home insurance American family home
      insurance company American family home owner insurance
      Prisoners of war Multi family home for sale Single family home
      for sale

      Service.