Re: [ScottishWarPrisoners] Re: RE:Battle of Dunbar

    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 17, 2005
      Ericka Morgan wrote:

      >Bob,
      > I should say Robert Abernathy was in the Battle of Dunbar and/or the Battle of Worcester, according to a book in the genealogy collection of the Library of Virginia, titled Descendants of Robert Abernathy. I understand that there is not a list, and do not mean to make an absolute claim, but I suppose we have to base our info on something.

      I did a Google search on Robert Abernathy and found an article by Rhonda
      Mcclure on Genealogy.com at www.genealogy.com/askr011702.html which I
      have sent to Ericka privately and will not post on this list for
      copyright concerns.

      Basically there is no direct evidence that he fought at Dunbar or
      Worcester and she had only secondary sources that he was in Virginia in
      1651.

      Rhonda Mcclure has written other articles on the Scottish Prisoners.

    • Dave Fisher
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 18, 2005
        Unfortunately, no McHoe, or anything close appears in the book. Many
        entries concerning the ship JOHN AND SARAH though.

        The only Abernathy (Abernethy) noted is:

        "ABERNETHY JANET
        Daughter of William Abernethy
        deceased, in Old Manse of Foveran. Petty thief. Banished
        at Aberdeen. Transported on
        BETSY, master James Ramsay.
        Landed Port of James River
        Upper District 29 April 1772"

        Thus is the typical entry in the book. The James River is in
        Virginia, and the "Upper District" could be no further inland than
        the Fall Line at Richmond.

        Directory of Scots Banished to the American Plantations 1650-1775
        by David Dobson
        Geneological Publishing Co., Baltimore, 1983
        ISBN 0-8063-1035-9, LCCN 83-81052

        Sorry no more information. My guy isn't in it either.

        Dave

        --- In ScottishWarPrisoners@yahoogroups.com, Ericka Morgan
        <erickawaymorgan@y...> wrote:

        > Dave,
        > Wow, where'd you find that book? Could you look for Robert
        Abernathy while you are at it? If anyone could every circulate such
        a list, it would be wonderful. I know that Robert Abernathy was
        inthe Battle of Dunbar and the Battle of Worcester, and that he came
        over in or around 1652. He was an indentured servant for several
        years and then began a long history of farming in Brunswick County,
        Virginia. If you see an Abernathy (or Abernethy) on the list, please
        let me know!-Ericka Morgan

        > Dave Fisher <stonehorse148@y...> wrote:
        > Jan,
        >
        > There is no known ship list for the UNITY, at least on this side of
        > the pond. The Saugus Iron works may have some information, or
        > leads. I am not at home in VA now, but I have a book listing
        > Scottish prisoners, and includes prisoners transported in JOHN &
        > SARAH. I'll check it out when I get back.
        >
        > Dave (of George Gray)
        >
        > --- In ScottishWarPrisoners@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Highman"
        > <medievaltents@h...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi Dave,
        > >
        > > Thank you for joining the list. My ancestor was Daniel Cone. We
        > don't know
        > > if his name was changed, he may have been the Daniel McHoe on the
        > John and
        > > Sara (I believe, the ship of prisoners from the Battle of
        > Worcester). Our
        > > family history is that he was taken in the Battle of Dunbar. We
        > found a
        > > reference that he was born in Edinburgh, but I think that was
        > assumed from
        > > his death certificate (Haddam CT). I appreciate what you have
        > added about
        > > the history of the men fighting at Dunbar. I had not heard that
        > Gen Leslie
        > > raised the troops from the lowlands. Do you have any more gems?
        > Is there a
        > > passenger manifest for the Unity?
        > >

        > > Jan (Cone) Highman
        > >

        > > >I too am a direct relative of George Gray on my mother's side
        > > >(grandmother Myrtle Gray (decd.) of Georgetown, MA). I realize
        > that
        > > >the early affairs of G.G. are a bit hazy (gray!?). While poking
        > > >about for information, I came up on the comprehensive Cederman
        > > >geneology ( http://www.cederman.com/genealogy/ ) with notations
        of
        > > >(the?) Gray family. Within it I note that a Lord Patrick Gray
        was
        > > >born in the Dundee/Perthshire area in 1538. His son, William is
        > also
        > > >noted as being in the area as Sheriff of Forfar and then Burgess
        of
        > > >Dundee 1589-1590. No dates of birth or death in given.
        William's
        > > >son was Andrew, who also died in the area (at Pitscandly, near
        > > >Forfar), no date given. Andrew had one son, GEORGE. No other
        > > >information is noted for George, and there are no other George
        > Grays
        > > >listed in any near period. If you allow a standard of 25 years
        > > >between generations beginning with Lord Patrick G., George G.
        would
        > > >have been born in the first quarter of the 1600s, and in his mid-
        > 30s
        > > >at the time of the Battle of Dunbar. That George left no
        progeny,
        > > >and is not listed as dying in Scotland. Maybe sent off in the
        > > >UNITY? Who knows?
        > > >
        > > >The Grays have been claimed as a sept of the Southerland clan
        (far
        > > >northeast Scotland), but the history of the Battle of Dunbar is
        > that
        > > >the highland clans did not participate, and that General Lesley
        > > >raised his Covenenter Army in the lowlands - Dundee and
        Perthshire
        > > >being quite close to the north across the River Tay.
        > > >
        > > >So, it is not unreasonable to speculate that Cederman's George G.
        > > >could have been the one in the right place at the right time.
        > Maybe
        > > >there is a paper-trail somewhere in the Forfar/Pitscandly area.
        > > >
        > > >Dave Fisher

        > American family home insurance American family home
        insurance company American family home owner insurance
        Prisoners of war Multi family home for sale Single family home
        for sale

        Service.