Re: [ScottishWarPrisoners] Re: RE:Battle of Dunbar

    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 16, 2005
      Ericka Morgan wrote:

      >Dave,
      > Wow, where'd you find that book? Could you look for Robert Abernathy while you are at it? If anyone could every circulate such a list, it would be wonderful. I know that Robert Abernathy was in the Battle of Dunbar and the Battle of Worcester, and that he came over in or around 1652. He was an indentured servant for several years and then began a long history of farming in Brunswick County, Virginia. If you see an Abernathy (or Abernethy) on the list, please let me know! Morgan
      >
      >Dave Fisher <stonehorse148@...> wrote:
      > Jan,
      >
      >There is no known ship list for the UNITY, at least on this side of
      >the pond. The Saugus Iron works may have some information, or
      >leads. I am not at home in VA now, but I have a book listing
      >Scottish prisoners, and includes prisoners transported in JOHN &
      >SARAH. I'll check it out when I get back.

      The list of the Scotsmen on the John and Sarah does not contain any
      Abernathy or similar name. This list is contained in a letter to Thomas
      Kemble date 11 Nov 1651 from Robert Rich and William Greene. The letter
      was entered and recorded in the Suffolk County Deeds at the request of
      Mr Kemble.

      The list of names of the men on the John and Sarah has been transcribed
      and published in the NEHGR and several other publications.

      How do you know he was in the Battles of Dunbar and Worcester? Other
      captives at Worcester may have gone to Virginia but AFAIK, there is no
      list of them.

      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 16, 2005
        Bob,
        I should say Robert Abernathy was in the Battle of Dunbar and/or the Battle of Worcester, according to a book in the geneaology collection of the Library of Virginia, titled Descendants of Robert Abernathy. I understand that there is not a list, and do not mean to make an absolute claim-but I suppose we have to base our info on something.-Ericka Morgan

        ---------------------------------

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 17, 2005
          Ericka Morgan wrote:

          >Bob,
          > I should say Robert Abernathy was in the Battle of Dunbar and/or the Battle of Worcester, according to a book in the genealogy collection of the Library of Virginia, titled Descendants of Robert Abernathy. I understand that there is not a list, and do not mean to make an absolute claim, but I suppose we have to base our info on something.

          I did a Google search on Robert Abernathy and found an article by Rhonda
          Mcclure on Genealogy.com at www.genealogy.com/askr011702.html which I
          have sent to Ericka privately and will not post on this list for
          copyright concerns.

          Basically there is no direct evidence that he fought at Dunbar or
          Worcester and she had only secondary sources that he was in Virginia in
          1651.

          Rhonda Mcclure has written other articles on the Scottish Prisoners.

        • Dave Fisher
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 18, 2005
            Unfortunately, no McHoe, or anything close appears in the book. Many
            entries concerning the ship JOHN AND SARAH though.

            The only Abernathy (Abernethy) noted is:

            "ABERNETHY JANET
            Daughter of William Abernethy
            deceased, in Old Manse of Foveran. Petty thief. Banished
            at Aberdeen. Transported on
            BETSY, master James Ramsay.
            Landed Port of James River
            Upper District 29 April 1772"

            Thus is the typical entry in the book. The James River is in
            Virginia, and the "Upper District" could be no further inland than
            the Fall Line at Richmond.

            Directory of Scots Banished to the American Plantations 1650-1775
            by David Dobson
            Geneological Publishing Co., Baltimore, 1983
            ISBN 0-8063-1035-9, LCCN 83-81052

            Sorry no more information. My guy isn't in it either.

            Dave

            --- In ScottishWarPrisoners@yahoogroups.com, Ericka Morgan
            <erickawaymorgan@y...> wrote:

            > Dave,
            > Wow, where'd you find that book? Could you look for Robert
            Abernathy while you are at it? If anyone could every circulate such
            a list, it would be wonderful. I know that Robert Abernathy was
            inthe Battle of Dunbar and the Battle of Worcester, and that he came
            over in or around 1652. He was an indentured servant for several
            years and then began a long history of farming in Brunswick County,
            Virginia. If you see an Abernathy (or Abernethy) on the list, please
            let me know!-Ericka Morgan

            > Dave Fisher <stonehorse148@y...> wrote:
            > Jan,
            >
            > There is no known ship list for the UNITY, at least on this side of
            > the pond. The Saugus Iron works may have some information, or
            > leads. I am not at home in VA now, but I have a book listing
            > Scottish prisoners, and includes prisoners transported in JOHN &
            > SARAH. I'll check it out when I get back.
            >
            > Dave (of George Gray)
            >
            > --- In ScottishWarPrisoners@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Highman"
            > <medievaltents@h...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi Dave,
            > >
            > > Thank you for joining the list. My ancestor was Daniel Cone. We
            > don't know
            > > if his name was changed, he may have been the Daniel McHoe on the
            > John and
            > > Sara (I believe, the ship of prisoners from the Battle of
            > Worcester). Our
            > > family history is that he was taken in the Battle of Dunbar. We
            > found a
            > > reference that he was born in Edinburgh, but I think that was
            > assumed from
            > > his death certificate (Haddam CT). I appreciate what you have
            > added about
            > > the history of the men fighting at Dunbar. I had not heard that
            > Gen Leslie
            > > raised the troops from the lowlands. Do you have any more gems?
            > Is there a
            > > passenger manifest for the Unity?
            > >

            > > Jan (Cone) Highman
            > >

            > > >I too am a direct relative of George Gray on my mother's side
            > > >(grandmother Myrtle Gray (decd.) of Georgetown, MA). I realize
            > that
            > > >the early affairs of G.G. are a bit hazy (gray!?). While poking
            > > >about for information, I came up on the comprehensive Cederman
            > > >geneology ( http://www.cederman.com/genealogy/ ) with notations
            of
            > > >(the?) Gray family. Within it I note that a Lord Patrick Gray
            was
            > > >born in the Dundee/Perthshire area in 1538. His son, William is
            > also
            > > >noted as being in the area as Sheriff of Forfar and then Burgess
            of
            > > >Dundee 1589-1590. No dates of birth or death in given.
            William's
            > > >son was Andrew, who also died in the area (at Pitscandly, near
            > > >Forfar), no date given. Andrew had one son, GEORGE. No other
            > > >information is noted for George, and there are no other George
            > Grays
            > > >listed in any near period. If you allow a standard of 25 years
            > > >between generations beginning with Lord Patrick G., George G.
            would
            > > >have been born in the first quarter of the 1600s, and in his mid-
            > 30s
            > > >at the time of the Battle of Dunbar. That George left no
            progeny,
            > > >and is not listed as dying in Scotland. Maybe sent off in the
            > > >UNITY? Who knows?
            > > >
            > > >The Grays have been claimed as a sept of the Southerland clan
            (far
            > > >northeast Scotland), but the history of the Battle of Dunbar is
            > that
            > > >the highland clans did not participate, and that General Lesley
            > > >raised his Covenenter Army in the lowlands - Dundee and
            Perthshire
            > > >being quite close to the north across the River Tay.
            > > >
            > > >So, it is not unreasonable to speculate that Cederman's George G.
            > > >could have been the one in the right place at the right time.
            > Maybe
            > > >there is a paper-trail somewhere in the Forfar/Pitscandly area.
            > > >
            > > >Dave Fisher

            > American family home insurance American family home
            insurance company American family home owner insurance
            Prisoners of war Multi family home for sale Single family home
            for sale

            Service.