RE:Battle of Dunbar

  • Larry Highman
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 13, 2005
      Hi Dave,

      Thank you for joining the list. My ancestor was Daniel Cone. We don't know
      if his name was changed, he may have been the Daniel McHoe on the John and
      Sara (I believe, the ship of prisoners from the Battle of Worcester). Our
      family history is that he was taken in the Battle of Dunbar. We found a
      reference that he was born in Edinburgh, but I think that was assumed from
      his death certificate (Haddam CT). I appreciate what you have added about
      the history of the men fighting at Dunbar. I had not heard that Gen Leslie
      raised the troops from the lowlands. Do you have any more gems? Is there a
      passenger manifest for the Unity?

      Jan (Cone) Highman

      >I too am a direct relative of George Gray on my mother's side
      >(grandmother Myrtle Gray (decd.) of Georgetown, MA). I realize that
      >the early affairs of G.G. are a bit hazy (gray!?). While poking
      >about for information, I came up on the comprehensive Cederman
      >geneology ( http://www.cederman.com/genealogy/ ) with notations of a
      >(the?) Gray family. Within it I note that a Lord Patrick Gray was
      >born in the Dundee/Perthshire area in 1538. His son, William is also
      >noted as being in the area as Sheriff of Forfar and then Burgess of
      >Dundee 1589-1590. No dates of birth or death in given. William's
      >son was Andrew, who also died in the area (at Pitscandly, near
      >Forfar), no date given. Andrew had one son, GEORGE. No other
      >information is noted for George, and there are no other George Grays
      >listed in any near period. If you allow a standard of 25 years
      >between generations beginning with Lord Patrick G., George G. would
      >have been born in the first quarter of the 1600s, and in his mid-30s
      >at the time of the Battle of Dunbar. That George left no progeny,
      >and is not listed as dying in Scotland. Maybe sent off in the
      >UNITY? Who knows?
      >
      >The Grays have been claimed as a sept of the Southerland clan (far
      >northeast Scotland), but the history of the Battle of Dunbar is that
      >the highland clans did not participate, and that General Lesley
      >raised his Covenenter Army in the lowlands - Dundee and Perthshire
      >being quite close to the north across the River Tay.
      >
      >So, it is not unreasonable to speculate that Cederman's George G.
      >could have been the one in the right place at the right time. Maybe
      >there is a paper-trail somewhere in the Forfar/Pitscandly area.
      >
      >Dave Fisher

    • Dave Fisher
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 15, 2005
        Jan,

        There is no known ship list for the UNITY, at least on this side of
        the pond. The Saugus Iron works may have some information, or
        leads. I am not at home in VA now, but I have a book listing
        Scottish prisoners, and includes prisoners transported in JOHN &
        SARAH. I'll check it out when I get back.

        Dave (of George Gray)

        --- In ScottishWarPrisoners@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Highman"

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 15, 2005
          Dave,
          Wow, where'd you find that book? Could you look for Robert Abernathy while you are at it? If anyone could every circulate such a list, it would be wonderful. I know that Robert Abernathy was inthe Battle of Dunbar and the Battle of Worcester, and that he came over in or around 1652. He was an indentured servant for several years and then began a long history of farming in Brunswick County, Virginia. If you see an Abernathy (or Abernethy) on the list, please let me know!-Ericka Morgan

          <medievaltents@h...> wrote:

          > Hi Dave,
          >
          > Thank you for joining the list. My ancestor was Daniel Cone. We
          don't know
          > if his name was changed, he may have been the Daniel McHoe on the
          John and
          > Sara (I believe, the ship of prisoners from the Battle of
          Worcester). Our
          > family history is that he was taken in the Battle of Dunbar. We
          found a
          > reference that he was born in Edinburgh, but I think that was
          assumed from
          > his death certificate (Haddam CT). I appreciate what you have
          added about
          > the history of the men fighting at Dunbar. I had not heard that
          Gen Leslie
          > raised the troops from the lowlands. Do you have any more gems?
          Is there a
          > passenger manifest for the Unity?
          >

          > Jan (Cone) Highman
          >

          > >I too am a direct relative of George Gray on my mother's side
          > >(grandmother Myrtle Gray (decd.) of Georgetown, MA). I realize
          that
          > >the early affairs of G.G. are a bit hazy (gray!?). While poking
          > >about for information, I came up on the comprehensive Cederman
          > >geneology ( http://www.cederman.com/genealogy/ ) with notations of
          > >(the?) Gray family. Within it I note that a Lord Patrick Gray was
          > >born in the Dundee/Perthshire area in 1538. His son, William is
          also
          > >noted as being in the area as Sheriff of Forfar and then Burgess of
          > >Dundee 1589-1590. No dates of birth or death in given. William's
          > >son was Andrew, who also died in the area (at Pitscandly, near
          > >Forfar), no date given. Andrew had one son, GEORGE. No other
          > >information is noted for George, and there are no other George
          Grays
          > >listed in any near period. If you allow a standard of 25 years
          > >between generations beginning with Lord Patrick G., George G. would
          > >have been born in the first quarter of the 1600s, and in his mid-
          30s
          > >at the time of the Battle of Dunbar. That George left no progeny,
          > >and is not listed as dying in Scotland. Maybe sent off in the
          > >UNITY? Who knows?
          > >
          > >The Grays have been claimed as a sept of the Southerland clan (far
          > >northeast Scotland), but the history of the Battle of Dunbar is
          that
          > >the highland clans did not participate, and that General Lesley
          > >raised his Covenenter Army in the lowlands - Dundee and Perthshire
          > >being quite close to the north across the River Tay.
          > >
          > >So, it is not unreasonable to speculate that Cederman's George G.
          > >could have been the one in the right place at the right time.
          Maybe
          > >there is a paper-trail somewhere in the Forfar/Pitscandly area.
          > >
          > >Dave Fisher

          American family home insurance American family home insurance company American family home owner insurance Prisoners of war Multi family home for sale Single family home for sale

          ---------------------------------

        • Cathy Lemar
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 15, 2005
            Those 1,400 survivors were still a threat to Cromwell's Commonwealth, and
            the government ordered their exile from the British isles. Five hundred were
            sold into the French army to fight in Spain, and nine hundred were sold as
            indentured servants to the New World. Most went to Virginia, but 150 on
            November 11 were put aboard a ship named the Unity captained by Augustine
            Walker out of London bound for Boston. Conditions aboard ship for the
            Scottish prisoners were little better than on slaving ships, and we do not
            know how many died during the voyage. But we do know that in Boston 25 were
            sold to a sawmill on the Piscataqua River in Maine, and 62 were sent to the
            Saugus by The Company of Undertakers of the Iron Works of New England. These
            are the men whom we are commemorating today.

            Soon after they arrived here one of their number, Davidson, died of poor
            health, probably from the sea voyage. Seventeen were sent back to Boston to
            work in the company's warehouses. Five to ten were sold off to work off
            their indenture in local businesses and homes. The remainder lived and
            worked here at the Saugus Iron Works, serving as forge hands, colliers,
            blacksmiths, miners, woodcutters, and domestics. Their names include John
            Toish, James Mackall, John Mackshane, Thomas Tower, John Clark, John
            Steward, James Gourdan, James Adams, and many others. In time some married
            and raised families whose descendants are among us here today.

            We are gathered here today to remember the souls of those Scots who lost
            their lives or their freedom fighting to defend their country at the Battle
            of Dunbar 350 years ago today. And we are gathered here specifically at the
            Saugus Iron Works to give thanks for the lives of those prisoners of that
            war who survived the rigors of their ill-treatment and exile to begin new
            families here in this country.

            http://www.tarasthistle.org/dunbar.html

            Cathy Lemar

            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 16, 2005
              Ericka Morgan wrote:

              >Dave,
              > Wow, where'd you find that book? Could you look for Robert Abernathy while you are at it? If anyone could every circulate such a list, it would be wonderful. I know that Robert Abernathy was in the Battle of Dunbar and the Battle of Worcester, and that he came over in or around 1652. He was an indentured servant for several years and then began a long history of farming in Brunswick County, Virginia. If you see an Abernathy (or Abernethy) on the list, please let me know! Morgan
              >
              >Dave Fisher <stonehorse148@...> wrote:
              > Jan,
              >
              >There is no known ship list for the UNITY, at least on this side of
              >the pond. The Saugus Iron works may have some information, or
              >leads. I am not at home in VA now, but I have a book listing
              >Scottish prisoners, and includes prisoners transported in JOHN &
              >SARAH. I'll check it out when I get back.

              The list of the Scotsmen on the John and Sarah does not contain any
              Abernathy or similar name. This list is contained in a letter to Thomas
              Kemble date 11 Nov 1651 from Robert Rich and William Greene. The letter
              was entered and recorded in the Suffolk County Deeds at the request of
              Mr Kemble.

              The list of names of the men on the John and Sarah has been transcribed
              and published in the NEHGR and several other publications.

              How do you know he was in the Battles of Dunbar and Worcester? Other
              captives at Worcester may have gone to Virginia but AFAIK, there is no
              list of them.

              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 16, 2005
                Bob,
                I should say Robert Abernathy was in the Battle of Dunbar and/or the Battle of Worcester, according to a book in the geneaology collection of the Library of Virginia, titled Descendants of Robert Abernathy. I understand that there is not a list, and do not mean to make an absolute claim-but I suppose we have to base our info on something.-Ericka Morgan

                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 17, 2005
                  Ericka Morgan wrote:

                  >Bob,
                  > I should say Robert Abernathy was in the Battle of Dunbar and/or the Battle of Worcester, according to a book in the genealogy collection of the Library of Virginia, titled Descendants of Robert Abernathy. I understand that there is not a list, and do not mean to make an absolute claim, but I suppose we have to base our info on something.

                  I did a Google search on Robert Abernathy and found an article by Rhonda
                  Mcclure on Genealogy.com at www.genealogy.com/askr011702.html which I
                  have sent to Ericka privately and will not post on this list for
                  copyright concerns.

                  Basically there is no direct evidence that he fought at Dunbar or
                  Worcester and she had only secondary sources that he was in Virginia in
                  1651.

                  Rhonda Mcclure has written other articles on the Scottish Prisoners.

                • Dave Fisher
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 18, 2005
                    Unfortunately, no McHoe, or anything close appears in the book. Many
                    entries concerning the ship JOHN AND SARAH though.

                    The only Abernathy (Abernethy) noted is:

                    "ABERNETHY JANET
                    Daughter of William Abernethy
                    deceased, in Old Manse of Foveran. Petty thief. Banished
                    at Aberdeen. Transported on
                    BETSY, master James Ramsay.
                    Landed Port of James River
                    Upper District 29 April 1772"

                    Thus is the typical entry in the book. The James River is in
                    Virginia, and the "Upper District" could be no further inland than
                    the Fall Line at Richmond.

                    Directory of Scots Banished to the American Plantations 1650-1775
                    by David Dobson
                    Geneological Publishing Co., Baltimore, 1983
                    ISBN 0-8063-1035-9, LCCN 83-81052

                    Sorry no more information. My guy isn't in it either.

                    Dave

                    --- In ScottishWarPrisoners@yahoogroups.com, Ericka Morgan
                    <erickawaymorgan@y...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > > >
                    > > >The Grays have been claimed as a sept of the Southerland clan
                    (far
                    > > >northeast Scotland), but the history of the Battle of Dunbar is
                    > that
                    > > >the highland clans did not participate, and that General Lesley
                    > > >raised his Covenenter Army in the lowlands - Dundee and
                    Perthshire
                    > > >being quite close to the north across the River Tay.
                    > > >
                    > > >So, it is not unreasonable to speculate that Cederman's George G.
                    > > >could have been the one in the right place at the right time.
                    > Maybe
                    > > >there is a paper-trail somewhere in the Forfar/Pitscandly area.
                    > > >
                    > > >Dave Fisher

                    > American family home insurance American family home
                    insurance company American family home owner insurance
                    Prisoners of war Multi family home for sale Single family home

                    Service.