Re: Battles of Dunbar and Worcester

  • Dave Fisher
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 8, 2005
      I too am a direct relative of George Gray on my mother's side
      (grandmother Myrtle Gray (decd.) of Georgetown, MA). I realize that
      the early affairs of G.G. are a bit hazy (gray!?). While poking
      about for information, I came up on the comprehensive Cederman
      geneology ( http://www.cederman.com/genealogy/ ) with notations of a
      (the?) Gray family. Within it I note that a Lord Patrick Gray was
      born in the Dundee/Perthshire area in 1538. His son, William is also
      noted as being in the area as Sheriff of Forfar and then Burgess of
      Dundee 1589-1590. No dates of birth or death in given. William's
      son was Andrew, who also died in the area (at Pitscandly, near
      Forfar), no date given. Andrew had one son, GEORGE. No other
      information is noted for George, and there are no other George Grays
      listed in any near period. If you allow a standard of 25 years
      between generations beginning with Lord Patrick G., George G. would
      have been born in the first quarter of the 1600s, and in his mid-30s
      at the time of the Battle of Dunbar. That George left no progeny,
      and is not listed as dying in Scotland. Maybe sent off in the
      UNITY? Who knows?

      The Grays have been claimed as a sept of the Southerland clan (far
      northeast Scotland), but the history of the Battle of Dunbar is that
      the highland clans did not participate, and that General Lesley
      raised his Covenenter Army in the lowlands - Dundee and Perthshire
      being quite close to the north across the River Tay.

      So, it is not unreasonable to speculate that Cederman's George G.
      could have been the one in the right place at the right time. Maybe
      there is a paper-trail somewhere in the Forfar/Pitscandly area.

      Dave Fisher

      --- In ScottishWarPrisoners@yahoogroups.com, "J.Gray" <graysnh@y...>