James CLAGHORN (CLEGHORN)

  • bevcleghorn2004
    Message 1 of 3 , May 16 12:26 PM
      my immigrant ancestor, James CLEGHORN, whose name was transcribed in
      the colonies as CLAGHORN, shows up in the American colonies around
      the 1650s. Family tradition says that he came over as a Royalist
      Scot prisoner on the JOHN & SARA, a ship which sailed after the
      Battle of Worcester to the colonies with Scot prisoners aboard. Charles
      Banks,a New England researcher, says that James came over on the UNITY
      to Boston where he was indentured to Lt. Bernard LAMBERT (LOMBARD)
      (LUMBART). Banks asserts that James fought in The Battle of Dunbar.
      To my knowledge there is no extant passenger list from the UNITY.
      There is, however, a passenger list from the JOHN & SARA. James is
      not listed there but there are several names that are illegible and
      it is always possible that James' was one of those illegible names.
      Any clues or information regarding this would be greatly appreciated.
    • MARY MASON
      Message 2 of 3 , May 16 2:13 PM
        Welcome to our world!!! I don't mean to sound cynical, but, I don't know where my grand progenitor comes from either!!! My ancestor is Daniel Cone who supposedly came on the John and Sara.. ya, well.... There is still no proof at this time.. If there is, no one has come forward.

        According to history,,, Daniel was in the uprising that was called the "Battle of .... "Dunbar" , which is a known fact.. whether or not Daniel was there is another. There are some that say they have info, but again, none have not passed it along.

        I wish you well in your search. If you or I should run across something, I'm sure we will pass it along.

        Mary Mason

        ps. If I run into something, I will pass it along to you.

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        To visit your group on the web, go to:

      • oldy11111@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , May 18 1:33 AM
          thanks mary, i'll keep looking for my james and add your daniel to my search
          as well. happy trails to both of us!