Scottish War Prisoners

  • Dale E Leathead
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 27 2:36 PM
      Hi, Roy, Jan, Judy and Linda,

      Glad you are all still out there. So am I. I recently joined OneList
      under the Scottish War Prisoners interest group and this is the first
      time I have been in touch. My SWP is James Adams who was indentured to
      Saugus Iron Works for 7 years, having been taken by Cromwell's forces at
      the Battle of Dunbar. I made a visit to Saugus a couple months ago and
      found some interesting data. I found the 16-page booklet, "The Scots at
      Hammersmith" by Stephen P. Carlson at the Iron Works Vistors Center.
      Some of you may have seen it. It includes short biographical sketches of
      some of the Scots known to have been at Hammersmith (Saugus Iron Works).
      I also acquired lists ("inventories") of Scots Prisoners at the works as
      of 1650-51 (compiled by G. S. Stewart) and as of November, 1953
      (compilier not known). No bona-fide, original "Unity" passenger list has
      survived, it seems, but I found a list which has been "re-constructed",
      using various sources such as Charles Edward Banks' "Scotch Prisoners
      Deported to New England by Cromwell, 1651-62", and Massachusetts
      Historical Society Proceedings, 61 (Oct. 1927), 15-6, 28. The list codes
      those known to have been at the Saugus Iron Works and those known to have
      been at Richard Leader's Sawmill. William Furbush is listed. Daniel
      Cone is not. Apart from their war service at Dunbar and deportment to
      the Colonies, I have found nothing about where they all may have come
      from in Scotland. Since they come, for the most part, from unskilled
      labor backgrounds, it seems that we have a momentous task before us to
      trace our roots through them before their deportment to New England. But
      we keep at it, little by little. Incidentally, my surname is of Scots
      origin. My great-grandfather (spelling his name "Leithead") emmigrated
      to Montreal. But we have been unable to "connect" back beyond that for
      the same reason. Dale Leathead
    • stuart
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 27 7:22 PM
        Dear Dale,

        Thank you for sharing.

        Would you please be kind enough to check your books for anything on Robert
        Stuart/Stewart, captured at Worcester by Cromwell and transported to Boston
        on the John and Sarah, 1652.

        I have the list of prisioners transported. I believe I saw something that
        showed he worked at the Iron Works, but have been unable to locate it again.
        Any info would be most apreciated. Like you, we are trying to make that
        jump across the Atlantic. There are some indications as to whom his parents
        were, but they need documentation that we have been unable to find.

        Thanks again.

        Gwen

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 27 7:51 PM
          On Sat, 27 Nov 1999 22:22:14 -0500 "stuart" <stuart@...> writes:
          > From: "stuart" <stuart@...>
          >
          > Dear Dale,
          >
          > Thank you for sharing.
          >
          > Would you please be kind enough to check your books for anything on
          > Robert
          > Stuart/Stewart, captured at Worcester by Cromwell and transported to
          > Boston
          > on the John and Sarah, 1652.

          I DON'T HAVE A PASSENGER LIST FOR THE "JOHN AND SARA", SO CAN'T CHECK
          THAT.

          > I have the list of prisioners transported. I believe I saw
          > something that
          > showed he worked at the Iron Works, but have been unable to locate
          > it again.

          I DO NOT FIND A ROBERT STUART/STEWARD IN EITHER OF THE INVENTORIES OF
          1650 OR 1653 OF SCOTS PRISONERS IN THE SAUGUS IRON WORKS. THERE IS,
          HOWEVER A JOHN STEWARD, BUT IT SEEMS THIS WOULD NOT BE THE ANCESTOR YOU
          ARE SEARCHING FOR.

          > Any info would be most apreciated. Like you, we are trying to make
          > that
          > jump across the Atlantic. There are some indications as to whom his
          > parents
          > were, but they need documentation that we have been unable to find.
          >
          > Thanks again.
          >
          > Gwen

          SORRY I COULDN'T BE OF MORE HELP

          Dale & Jeanette Leathead
          13 Rose Ct
          New Holland PA 17557-9435
          Ph: (717) 355-6515 / E-mail -- dleathead@...
          Fax: (717) 355-6006 Attn: D. Leathead
        • stuart
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 27 8:14 PM
            Thank you, Dale.

            Gwen
            > Would you please be kind enough to check your books for anything on Robert
            > Stuart/Stewart, captured at Worcester by Cromwell and transported to
            Boston
            > on the John and Sarah, 1652.
            >
            > I have the list of prisioners transported. I believe I saw something that
            > showed he worked at the Iron Works, but have been unable to locate it
            again.
            > Any info would be most apreciated. Like you, we are trying to make that
            > jump across the Atlantic. There are some indications as to whom his
            parents
            > were, but they need documentation that we have been unable to find.
            >
            > Thanks again.
            >
            > Gwen

          • chestercowen
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 16, 2003
              Dear Researchers,

              I would like to know if you find a John Coehon, Colquhoun or Cowen
              listed at one of the mills being mentioned. In appreciation I
              remain,

              Chester...

              --- In ScottishWarPrisoners@yahoogroups.com, "stuart"