Re: Re: [ScottishWarPrisoners] Indentured New Hampshire Scot

  • dillard_he@externet.nl
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 5, 2004
      [externet] --> [jagerjanssen] sinds september 2003
      [externet] --> [jagerjanssen] since september 2003
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 5, 2004
        Bill Budde wrote:

        > I saw your e-mail regarding your ancestor indentured to the saw mill. To the
        > best of my knowledge I am not aware of any Scots prisoners purchased from
        > Capt. Greene of the John and Sarah. All of the prisoners sent over were the
        > property of the Iron Works Company and were not owned by him. He was
        > providing transport according to the court records. The company then sold
        > individuals to members of the community at large, after they kept many for
        > use at the Braintree, Boston warehouse, and Lynn sites. Richard Lederer then
        > purchased or took a number of them with him to set up a saw mill at Berwick,
        > Maine.

        Several different sources do not concur with the above. While the
        prisoners on the Unity in 1650 were sent to the Iron Works to work in
        Saugus and Braintree and other locations, almost all the prisoners on
        the John and Sara did not work for or at the Iron Works. They were
        indentured to many masters in the Mass Bay Colony.

        E N Hartley in his "Ironworks on the Saugus....." Norman OK, U of
        Oklahoma, 1957 and others so state. Hartley checked all available
        records of workers at the Iron Works and AFAIR he could not find any of
        the John and Sara prisoners

        The letter filed with the Suffolk County Registrar of Deeds written by
        Robert and William Greene of London to Thomas Kemble in Boston makes no
        mention of the Iron Works.

        My ancestor John Brow[ne] was probably indentured to William Makepeace
        of Dorchester as within 4 years he had his freedom and married
        Makepeace's daughter. The John and Sarah sailed from Gravesend after 11
        Nov 1651 and arrived in Boston before 13 May 1652. John Browne was a
        resident of Cambridge when he married Esther Makepeace on 24 Apr 1655.
        He moved to Marlborough MA then to Falmouth, District of Maine and
        finally c 1694 to Watertown MA where he died in 1697.

        His son John moved to Gloucester about 1694 and his descendants live
        throughout the USA.

        bob gillis
      • dillard_he@externet.nl
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 5, 2004
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 5, 2004
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 5, 2004
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 5, 2004
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 5, 2004
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 5, 2004
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 5, 2004
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 5, 2004
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 5, 2004
                          [externet] --> [jagerjanssen] sinds september 2003
                          [externet] --> [jagerjanssen] since september 2003
                        • J.Gray
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 20, 2005
                            Hello Bill,
                            I just recently had time to go through some
                            older e mails and came across yours.I too am an
                            ancestor of someone from the Berwick Saw Mill.I am
                            trying to find out more info of his life here and
                            possibly in Scotland.
                            If you decide to setup another group or start a news
                            letter I would like to be informed.Thank You and keep
                            up the good work.
                            John Gray

                            http://mail.yahoo.com