Indentured New Hampshire Scot

  • Bill Budde
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 4, 2004
      Dear Susan,

      I saw your e-mail regarding your ancestor indentured to the saw mill. To the
      best of my knowledge I am not aware of any Scots prisoners purchased from
      Capt. Greene of the John and Sarah. All of the prisoners sent over were the
      property of the Iron Works Company and were not owned by him. He was
      providing transport according to the court records. The company then sold
      individuals to members of the community at large, after they kept many for
      use at the Braintree, Boston warehouse, and Lynn sites. Richard Lederer then
      purchased or took a number of them with him to set up a saw mill at Berwick,
      Maine.

      In regards to your question about the ancestors of the Scots, they now live
      world wide. Some of the prisoners were sent to Barbados, but it seems that
      those on the John and Sarah were purchased exclusively for New England and
      the Company of Undertakers of the Iron Works at Lynn. Within the US I have
      had contact with descendants of the Saugus Scots that now live from Maine to
      California at the seminars I have presented, the latest a week and a half
      ago.

      I am also forming a new lineage society, similar to the Mayflower Society or
      DAR, for the descendants of the Saugus Scots. If you would like to be kept
      informed of the organization, let me know.

      Sincerely,

      Bill Budde
      Relatively Speaking
      177 Old Mill Road
      East Arlington, VT 05252-9777
      (802) 375-9296
      E-mail: bbudde@...

    • dillard_he@externet.nl
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 5, 2004
        [externet] --> [jagerjanssen] sinds september 2003
        [externet] --> [jagerjanssen] since september 2003
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 5, 2004
          Bill Budde wrote:

          > I saw your e-mail regarding your ancestor indentured to the saw mill. To the
          > best of my knowledge I am not aware of any Scots prisoners purchased from
          > Capt. Greene of the John and Sarah. All of the prisoners sent over were the
          > property of the Iron Works Company and were not owned by him. He was
          > providing transport according to the court records. The company then sold
          > individuals to members of the community at large, after they kept many for
          > use at the Braintree, Boston warehouse, and Lynn sites. Richard Lederer then
          > purchased or took a number of them with him to set up a saw mill at Berwick,
          > Maine.

          Several different sources do not concur with the above. While the
          prisoners on the Unity in 1650 were sent to the Iron Works to work in
          Saugus and Braintree and other locations, almost all the prisoners on
          the John and Sara did not work for or at the Iron Works. They were
          indentured to many masters in the Mass Bay Colony.

          E N Hartley in his "Ironworks on the Saugus....." Norman OK, U of
          Oklahoma, 1957 and others so state. Hartley checked all available
          records of workers at the Iron Works and AFAIR he could not find any of
          the John and Sara prisoners

          The letter filed with the Suffolk County Registrar of Deeds written by
          Robert and William Greene of London to Thomas Kemble in Boston makes no
          mention of the Iron Works.

          My ancestor John Brow[ne] was probably indentured to William Makepeace
          of Dorchester as within 4 years he had his freedom and married
          Makepeace's daughter. The John and Sarah sailed from Gravesend after 11
          Nov 1651 and arrived in Boston before 13 May 1652. John Browne was a
          resident of Cambridge when he married Esther Makepeace on 24 Apr 1655.
          He moved to Marlborough MA then to Falmouth, District of Maine and
          finally c 1694 to Watertown MA where he died in 1697.

          His son John moved to Gloucester about 1694 and his descendants live
          throughout the USA.

          bob gillis
        • dillard_he@externet.nl
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 5, 2004
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 5, 2004
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 5, 2004
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 5, 2004
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 5, 2004
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 5, 2004
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 5, 2004
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 5, 2004
                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 5, 2004
                            [externet] --> [jagerjanssen] sinds september 2003
                            [externet] --> [jagerjanssen] since september 2003
                          • J.Gray
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 20, 2005
                              Hello Bill,
                              I just recently had time to go through some
                              older e mails and came across yours.I too am an
                              ancestor of someone from the Berwick Saw Mill.I am
                              trying to find out more info of his life here and
                              possibly in Scotland.
                              If you decide to setup another group or start a news
                              letter I would like to be informed.Thank You and keep
                              up the good work.
                              John Gray

                              http://mail.yahoo.com