Re: [ScottishWarPrisoners] Mackhoe on the John and Sara

  • Tom Cone
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 19, 2004
      --- Larry Highman <medievaltents@...> wrote:
      > This is in reply to Tom Cone's post. Tom said that
      > he believes he is
      > decended from Neil Mackhoe. I am descended from
      > Daniel Cone and there is
      > some belief that he was Daniel Mackhoe on the John
      > and Sara. Tom, do you
      > have any "proof" that Neil Mackhoe changed his name
      > to Cone?

      No, I think that was something Jesse did, probably
      when he got to North Carolina.

      > Do you know
      > where he was taken prisoner? I believe those on the
      > John and Sara were
      > taken at Worchester, but our family verbal history
      > says that our ancestor
      > was taken at Dunbar.

      I'm pretty sure that it was Worchester. My
      computer, where I kept my records, has recently died,
      so I can't back that up, but I remember reading
      accounts of both in the local library and doing online
      research. <shrug> At the moment that's the best I've
      got.

      > Thank you for any
      > clarification.

      Hey, sure! Anyone doing work in this direction is an
      ally. Heck, you're family... maybe.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Co Owner
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 11, 2004
        --- In ScottishWarPrisoners@yahoogroups.com, Tom Cone <crenbut@y...>
        wrote:

        > --- Larry Highman <medievaltents@h...> wrote:
        > > This is in reply to Tom Cone's post. Tom said that
        > > he believes he is
        > > decended from Neil Mackhoe. I am descended from
        > > Daniel Cone and there is
        > > some belief that he was Daniel Mackhoe on the John
        > > and Sara. Tom, do you
        > > have any "proof" that Neil Mackhoe changed his name
        > > to Cone?
        >
        > No, I think that was something Jesse did, probably
        > when he got to North Carolina.
        >
        > >Wm Cone replies: >
        In researching the Cone's mainly in the Southern States it
        appears that Neil Machone is the progentor of many of these lines.
        For many years after the Some Account of the Cone family In America
        the consensus was that Daniel Machoe was the blue blood of all Cone
        Lineages that sought reconginition in the SAR and DAR.

        One thing that is most apparent is that Daniel was Daniel Machoe with
        the rooster of the prisoners followed by Neile Machone. The "N" was
        the only letter of difference in the spelling.

        Certainly the most obvious thing in common was two points. First
        these were prisoners taken at Worchester in 1651 and transported in
        1652 to Mass.The spelling and proxiemity of the Machoe and Machone on
        the list as presented across the internet.

        Neile Machone actualy in the records did not change to Cone as there
        is his Last Will and Testament as recorded in the Isle of WIght
        Parrish, Virginia in 1680. Adding too a William Maccone recorde his
        Will in the same parrish in 1710.

        Then it appears an Aaron Peter Cone turned up in North Carolina which
        it does semm this may have been the transformation point of the
        Maccone to Cone. Peter had several sons yet during the American
        Revolution his namesake saw things to become a loyalist or Tory
        poloticaly remaining loyal to the King, yet after all was said and
        done this Cone imagrated to Nova Scotia and the State of North
        Carolina seized property and removed these partys from records.

        I dont see where Tom Cone's Jesse comes in but there were several
        Jesse Cones. DNA testing does show that many the Cones south of the
        Mason Dixon do not relate to those that can successfuly say they are
        of Daniel Mchoe "Cone" which leads some to question any relation back
        beyond the voyage of the John and Sara. I add that the Book SACFA was
        done at turn of the century by mail replys to W.W.Cone and although a
        true work of earnest, there are some conflicts mainly in the lineages
        of the Southern group.
        Wm. Cone
        A Descendent of Lewis Cone of North Carolina from Georgia.

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 12, 2004
          Co Owner wrote:

          snip

          > One thing that is most apparent is that Daniel was Daniel Machoe with
          > the roster of the prisoners followed by Neile Machone. The "N" was
          > the only letter of difference in the spelling.
          >
          > Certainly the most obvious thing in common was two points. First
          > these were prisoners taken at Worchester in 1651 and transported in
          > 1652 to Mass.The spelling and proxiemity of the Machoe and Machone on
          > the list as presented across the internet.>

          In a transcription of the letter filed in the Massachusetts Deeds
          contained in Vol 1 of the NEHGR, Page 377-379 Dan: Mackhoe is followed
          by Dan: Mackajne. Neile Mackhone is 23 names earlier in the listing. I
          feel that the the order in the NEHGR reflects the order in the letter
          as the names are not in order.

          You cannot make any assumptions based on the sort of a such a list in an
          on-line transcription.

          In the list there is also a David Mackhome in Col 1, and Senly Mackonne,
          Daniell Mackhan, and Alester Mackhene in Col 2. Neile Mackhone is in
          Col 5 and Dan: Mackhoe in Col 6 of 6.