Re: George Smith or Gow

  • Mark Sutherland-Fisher
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 23, 1999
      Hi folks, seeing this message just reminded me that I hadn't "logged-on"
      yet, so to speak.
      My interest is in George Smith or Gow, whom I believe to be one of my 5x
      great grandfathers. George came from the south Morayshire Parish of
      Knockando ( where they produce a very fine light malt whisky) and he was
      "out" in the '45 fighting for Bonnie Prince Charlie at Culloden on 16th
      April 1746. He was subsequently taken prisoner, but rather than be executed,
      was allowed to join-up and thereafter served in North America with the
      Fraser Highlanders, the 78th, both in the Battle at the Heights of Abraham
      prior to the capture of Quebec by Wolfe and then in India where he served
      under Robert Clive. He returned to Knockando and lived well into old age. He
      had the distinction of being great-grandfather of not one, but two Peers of
      the Realm, Sir George Stephen, 1st Baron Mountstephen and Sir Donald
      Alexander Smith, 1st Baron Strathcona and Mount Royal. The two noble cousins
      were the driving force behind the Canadian Pacific Railway, as any Canadian
      members will know. I am one of around 6 descendants of George who are
      members of the Morayshire list at Rootsweb who are trying to piece together
      his life and extended family. If any SWP members can shed any light on him,
      advice or information would be gratefully received. I should explain that
      Gow is the Gaelic name for Smith, hence the Smith or Gow. That is the way
      some of them are referred to in the Old Parochial Registers and the IGI.
      All the best,
      Mark

      Genealogist: Clan Sutherland
      Co-genealogist: Clan Mackenzie