Re: [ScottishWarPrisoners] Re: Battles of Dunbar and Worcester

  • J.Gray
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 18, 2004
      My great,great...grandfather is also George Gray.
      Looking to find out more about him.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Dave Fisher
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 8, 2005
        I too am a direct relative of George Gray on my mother's side
        (grandmother Myrtle Gray (decd.) of Georgetown, MA). I realize that
        the early affairs of G.G. are a bit hazy (gray!?). While poking
        about for information, I came up on the comprehensive Cederman
        geneology ( http://www.cederman.com/genealogy/ ) with notations of a
        (the?) Gray family. Within it I note that a Lord Patrick Gray was
        born in the Dundee/Perthshire area in 1538. His son, William is also
        noted as being in the area as Sheriff of Forfar and then Burgess of
        Dundee 1589-1590. No dates of birth or death in given. William's
        son was Andrew, who also died in the area (at Pitscandly, near
        Forfar), no date given. Andrew had one son, GEORGE. No other
        information is noted for George, and there are no other George Grays
        listed in any near period. If you allow a standard of 25 years
        between generations beginning with Lord Patrick G., George G. would
        have been born in the first quarter of the 1600s, and in his mid-30s
        at the time of the Battle of Dunbar. That George left no progeny,
        and is not listed as dying in Scotland. Maybe sent off in the
        UNITY? Who knows?

        The Grays have been claimed as a sept of the Southerland clan (far
        northeast Scotland), but the history of the Battle of Dunbar is that
        the highland clans did not participate, and that General Lesley
        raised his Covenenter Army in the lowlands - Dundee and Perthshire
        being quite close to the north across the River Tay.

        So, it is not unreasonable to speculate that Cederman's George G.
        could have been the one in the right place at the right time. Maybe
        there is a paper-trail somewhere in the Forfar/Pitscandly area.

        Dave Fisher

        --- In ScottishWarPrisoners@yahoogroups.com, "J.Gray" <graysnh@y...>