Re: [ScottishWarPrisoners] Re: Battles of Dunbar and Worcester

  • Amraff@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 17, 2004
      Who was your great great ,,,,grandfather? I have two connections to
      Berwick's Unity section through the war prisoners. Mine are George Gray and William
      Gowen, possibly others like Lewis Bean and Thomas Holmes. Anne

    • J.Gray
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 18, 2004
        My great,great...grandfather is also George Gray.
        Looking to find out more about him.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Dave Fisher
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 8, 2005
          I too am a direct relative of George Gray on my mother's side
          (grandmother Myrtle Gray (decd.) of Georgetown, MA). I realize that
          the early affairs of G.G. are a bit hazy (gray!?). While poking
          about for information, I came up on the comprehensive Cederman
          geneology ( http://www.cederman.com/genealogy/ ) with notations of a
          (the?) Gray family. Within it I note that a Lord Patrick Gray was
          born in the Dundee/Perthshire area in 1538. His son, William is also
          noted as being in the area as Sheriff of Forfar and then Burgess of
          Dundee 1589-1590. No dates of birth or death in given. William's
          son was Andrew, who also died in the area (at Pitscandly, near
          Forfar), no date given. Andrew had one son, GEORGE. No other
          information is noted for George, and there are no other George Grays
          listed in any near period. If you allow a standard of 25 years
          between generations beginning with Lord Patrick G., George G. would
          have been born in the first quarter of the 1600s, and in his mid-30s
          at the time of the Battle of Dunbar. That George left no progeny,
          and is not listed as dying in Scotland. Maybe sent off in the
          UNITY? Who knows?

          The Grays have been claimed as a sept of the Southerland clan (far
          northeast Scotland), but the history of the Battle of Dunbar is that
          the highland clans did not participate, and that General Lesley
          raised his Covenenter Army in the lowlands - Dundee and Perthshire
          being quite close to the north across the River Tay.

          So, it is not unreasonable to speculate that Cederman's George G.
          could have been the one in the right place at the right time. Maybe
          there is a paper-trail somewhere in the Forfar/Pitscandly area.

          Dave Fisher

          --- In ScottishWarPrisoners@yahoogroups.com, "J.Gray" <graysnh@y...>