Re: [ScottishWarPrisoners] Digest Number 86

  • janetj6690@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 16, 2004
      I accidentally sent this to the group when it was intended for an individual,
      so I may as well explain it. I am a possible descendant james Mackall who
      was a Saugus prisoner. it is thought that he is the father of the James McCall
      who married Anna. Is there anyone else researching this line on this list?
      Has anyone found any more ties of the two Jame's?
      In a message dated 3/16/04 11:11:41 AM, ScottishWarPrisoners@yahoogroups.com
      writes:

      << <<
      --- In ScottishWarPrisoners@yahoogroups.com, SusanG1400@a... wrote:
      > Several persons have asked recently where in the Western
      Hemisphere
      > Scotsmen taken prisoner at the Battles of Dunbar and Worcester
      were sent by Oliver
      > Cromwell. Oliver Cromwell sent these Scots prisoners to
      Massachusetts Bay
      > Colony, New Hampshire, Virginia, East New Jersey (Originally New
      Jersey was two
      > colonies: East New Jersey and West New Jersey.) and the British-
      controlled
      > islands of Jamaica and Barbados in the West Indies.
      > Someone asked on what other ships besides the John and Sara the
      prisoners
      > were sent to the Western Hemisphere. One other ship was the Henry
      and Francis
      > . It left from Leith Scotland on September 5, 1685. It took
      prisoners to
      > East New Jersey.
      > The Scots prisoners were sent to so many different places
      because the
      > English settlers in the American Colonies were afraid that if all
      these Scots
      > were sent to the same place, they might rebel.
      > There is a book that lists all the prisoners transported in
      alphabetical
      > order by last name and tells the names of the ship they were sent
      on, where in
      > the Western Hemisphere they were sent, and the date the ships left
      Great
      > Britain and from what port in Great Britain the ships left. I
      studied this book
      > at the Library of Congress in Washington, D.C. You cannot take
      books out from
      > this library. You can probably order this book on Interlibrary
      Loan from your
      > local public library. Your local library can obtain it from
      another library
      > in the United States for you. This book is:
      >
      > Directory of Scots Banished to the American Plantations 1650 -
      1775 by David
      > Dobson, published Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing
      Co., Inc. 1983. >>
      I think it is also on cd. I tried to find out more about the new jersey
      settlement at one point because we have the tradition on one of the mccall
      books
      about nj -- i still think the saugus guy makes the most sense