Re: Battles of Dunbar and Worcester

  • dunbarbill
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 14, 2004
      In my previous reply I forgot to mention one other point. The
      prisoners transported on the Henry and Francis in 1685 were not
      prisoners of the English Civil Wars, nor related to the prisoners
      captured at Dunbar and Worcester. The battles of Dunbar (1650) and
      Worcester (1651) took place 35 years earlier.

      Yours aye,

      Bill Budde

      --- In ScottishWarPrisoners@y
      ahoogroups.com, SusanG1400@a... wrote:
      > Several persons have asked recently where in the Western
      Hemisphere
      > Scotsmen taken prisoner at the Battles of Dunbar and Worcester
      were sent by Oliver
      > Cromwell. Oliver Cromwell sent these Scots prisoners to
      Massachusetts Bay
      > Colony, New Hampshire, Virginia, East New Jersey (Originally New
      Jersey was two
      > colonies: East New Jersey and West New Jersey.) and the British-
      controlled
      > islands of Jamaica and Barbados in the West Indies.
      > Someone asked on what other ships besides the John and Sara the
      prisoners
      > were sent to the Western Hemisphere. One other ship was the Henry
      and Francis
      > . It left from Leith Scotland on September 5, 1685. It took
      prisoners to
      > East New Jersey.
      > The Scots prisoners were sent to so many different places
      because the
      > English settlers in the American Colonies were afraid that if all
      these Scots
      > were sent to the same place, they might rebel.
      > There is a book that lists all the prisoners transported in
      alphabetical
      > order by last name and tells the names of the ship they were sent
      on, where in
      > the Western Hemisphere they were sent, and the date the ships left
      Great
      > Britain and from what port in Great Britain the ships left. I
      studied this book
      > at the Library of Congress in Washington, D.C. You cannot take
      books out from
      > this library. You can probably order this book on Interlibrary
      Loan from your
      > local public library. Your local library can obtain it from
      another library
      > in the United States for you. This book is:
      >
      > Directory of Scots Banished to the American Plantations 1650 -
      1775 by David
      > Dobson, published Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing
      Co., Inc. 1983.

      > Mr. Dobson resides in Scotland.
      > My 82-year-old mother's great-grandfather, Walter Jackson
      of Scotland,
      > fought at the Battle of Worcester for Charles II. He was not an
      officer. We
      > are trying to find out in what unit he fought. Maybe if we knew
      this fact,
      > we could then find out where in Scotland he was born. Walter
      Jackson was sent
      > in the ship John and Sarah. In 1683 Walter Jackson died in
      Durham, New
      > Hampshire.
      >
      > Sincerely,
      >
      > Susan M. Grady
      > Alexandria, Virginia

    • J.Gray
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 14, 2004
        Hello all.
        My great great.....Grandfather was sent to
        this country on a ship called Unity in 1650.
        He worked in a saw mill in Berwick,Me.
        He was a prisoner of the Battle of Dunbar in 1650.
        Thought I might mention this in case someone might be
        trying to follow their relatives steps from Scotland
        to the USA. Not all the prisoners worked at The Saugus
        Iron works. Good luck in your search

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Tom Cone
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 14, 2004
          I believe that an ancestor of mine, "Acey" Cone, had a
          father on the John and Sara, Neil Mackhoe (or
          something). He landed in Virginia, and that's about
          all I "know"

          Any help would be appreciated.

          =====
          "Dot is the reason Karadon kills clones!"
          - The cast of ANOA:Enclaves

          "Can Suhuy and I go back to creating balance now?"
          -Dot

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Amraff@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 17, 2004
            Who was your great great ,,,,grandfather? I have two connections to
            Berwick's Unity section through the war prisoners. Mine are George Gray and William
            Gowen, possibly others like Lewis Bean and Thomas Holmes. Anne

          • J.Gray
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 18, 2004
              My great,great...grandfather is also George Gray.
              Looking to find out more about him.

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Dave Fisher
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 8, 2005
                I too am a direct relative of George Gray on my mother's side
                (grandmother Myrtle Gray (decd.) of Georgetown, MA). I realize that
                the early affairs of G.G. are a bit hazy (gray!?). While poking
                about for information, I came up on the comprehensive Cederman
                geneology ( http://www.cederman.com/genealogy/ ) with notations of a
                (the?) Gray family. Within it I note that a Lord Patrick Gray was
                born in the Dundee/Perthshire area in 1538. His son, William is also
                noted as being in the area as Sheriff of Forfar and then Burgess of
                Dundee 1589-1590. No dates of birth or death in given. William's
                son was Andrew, who also died in the area (at Pitscandly, near
                Forfar), no date given. Andrew had one son, GEORGE. No other
                information is noted for George, and there are no other George Grays
                listed in any near period. If you allow a standard of 25 years
                between generations beginning with Lord Patrick G., George G. would
                have been born in the first quarter of the 1600s, and in his mid-30s
                at the time of the Battle of Dunbar. That George left no progeny,
                and is not listed as dying in Scotland. Maybe sent off in the
                UNITY? Who knows?

                The Grays have been claimed as a sept of the Southerland clan (far
                northeast Scotland), but the history of the Battle of Dunbar is that
                the highland clans did not participate, and that General Lesley
                raised his Covenenter Army in the lowlands - Dundee and Perthshire
                being quite close to the north across the River Tay.

                So, it is not unreasonable to speculate that Cederman's George G.
                could have been the one in the right place at the right time. Maybe
                there is a paper-trail somewhere in the Forfar/Pitscandly area.

                Dave Fisher

                --- In ScottishWarPrisoners@yahoogroups.com, "J.Gray" <graysnh@y...>