Robert Young, Covenanter

  • dobie1017
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 2, 2004
      Dear Sandy:

      Thanks for your suggestions to help me find info on Robert Young.
      Unfortunately, I don't know exactly where he came from. Verbal family
      history indicates he was from Perth, but the writings I have found
      here in the US show him as being from Glasgow, Lanark. It seems my
      first order of business must be to find where he came from. Never
      fear...I have archived your suggestions so that I will have them
      available when I get closer to narrowing down his location.

      To our knowledge, my husband has no relatives from Georgia. We have
      been lucky enough to find some other relatives who have done a lot of
      research and have traced the Cochrans back to 1240 in Scotland. Since
      we've only been doing genealogy for a couple of years, we haven't
      added too much to that research.

      Do you know if your mother was related to a John Cochran who was the
      Surgeon General under George Washington in the Revolutionary War?
      That might be a starting place to see if there are any connections to
      the same Cochran line.

      Thanks again,
      Rita Cochran
    • Ardachu@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 2, 2004
        Hi Rita, Are the documents in this country stating he was from Glasgow
        immigration records? He may have sailed from aGlasgow port and therefor they would
        list him from Glasgow. He also may have been born in the town of Perth or
        somewhere in Perthshire, then moved to the Glasgow area as a young man. If your
        family's tradition says Perth, I'd look there first. You'd be surprised how many
        Scots went to Ireland for 3-12 months to put together the money for passage,
        then left from an Irish port and are listed in this country's records as
        coming from Ireland. You can't always trust immigration locals or early census
        records. Early census records in this country were not done the way they do them
        today. One or two people would be assigned to gather census data for their
        village or town and they would fill them out themselves- each household did not
        fill them out. If John Smith was doing census data- the Joneses may have lived
        next door, and Smith would list the Joneses names and often guessed at the
        childrens' ages and name spellings. I'd start your research in Pertshire, all
        parishes. There is a website- www.scotlandspeople.gov.org and they have most of
        the Old Parish Records and the newer statistical records. There is a fee of L6
        for access to 30 records- you can use a credit card. You can type in
        Perthshire, all records and a name and it will bring up a list of possibles. It's 1
        credit (of the 30 you purchase) to look at each name on the lisr. This might find
        you something on your Robert Young. It was not required in Scotland to keep
        birth, marriage and death records until the 1850's, but many parish ministers
        kept their own and the website does have some parish records back to the 1500's.
        Good luck on your quest. I know from my own research that before 1850, if
        your ancestor was not a tacksman, a rebel, a criminal, did not leave a will or
        estate, and did not piss-off the Kirk, he just doesn't appear in any record.
        There was no reason for his name to be written down. My Dad's family were sub-let
        farmers and younger sons so a lot of don't exist in records. But family
        tradition is stronger, in my opinion, than records in an immigrant's first several
        years in America. Happy hunting, Sandy MacAllister

      • dobie1017
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 4, 2004
          Sandy:

          Robert was banished from Scotland and gifted to George Scott, Laird
          of Pitlochie. He spent time in prison in Glasgow and Leith and sailed
          from the tollbooth of Leith aboard the ship "Henry & Francis" in
          September 1685, arriving in East Jersey in December 1685. There were
          no immigration records. Two other locations mentioned in the writings
          (mostly in books by David Dobson) were Goodburn and Avendale. I am
          currently taking a course on Ancestry.com on researching Scottish
          ancestors and have gotten some clues from the teacher. Thanks for
          your suggestion to attempt to locate Robert through the Perthshire
          parishes...it sounds like a good idea.

          Rita