Re: [ScottishWarPrisoners] Robert Young, Covenanter

  • Ardachu@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2004
      Dear Rita,
      One suggestion for possibly finding out more about your ancestor,
      Fobert Young, might possibly the Kirk Synod records. If you know the parish and
      the controlling regional Synod, try tracking down the Synod's records. The
      regional synods met several times a year and were basically the major enforcers of
      civil law and also some criminal law. If Robert Young fought for the
      Jacobites or was a Jacobite or Royalist sympathizer, even if he was Presbyterian, he
      would have been called before the synod, or tried in absentia, and would
      probably have been excommunicated from the Kirk for sympathizing with "Papists."
      Also see if you can track down the Sasine registers for the county- those were
      the legel leases and charters for property and many of them are at the National
      Archives in Edinburgh. Hope this helps. Good luck, Sandy MacAllister
      email at: Ardachu@...

    • Ardachu@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2004
        Hi Rita- Sandy again. Forgot to mention my mother's maiden name was Cochran.
        She was from Boston, Georgia in Thomas County. All my best, Sandy
        MacAllister

      • dobie1017
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 2, 2004
          Dear Sandy:

          Thanks for your suggestions to help me find info on Robert Young.
          Unfortunately, I don't know exactly where he came from. Verbal family
          history indicates he was from Perth, but the writings I have found
          here in the US show him as being from Glasgow, Lanark. It seems my
          first order of business must be to find where he came from. Never
          fear...I have archived your suggestions so that I will have them
          available when I get closer to narrowing down his location.

          To our knowledge, my husband has no relatives from Georgia. We have
          been lucky enough to find some other relatives who have done a lot of
          research and have traced the Cochrans back to 1240 in Scotland. Since
          we've only been doing genealogy for a couple of years, we haven't
          added too much to that research.

          Do you know if your mother was related to a John Cochran who was the
          Surgeon General under George Washington in the Revolutionary War?
          That might be a starting place to see if there are any connections to
          the same Cochran line.

          Thanks again,
          Rita Cochran
        • Ardachu@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 2, 2004
            Hi Rita, Are the documents in this country stating he was from Glasgow
            immigration records? He may have sailed from aGlasgow port and therefor they would
            list him from Glasgow. He also may have been born in the town of Perth or
            somewhere in Perthshire, then moved to the Glasgow area as a young man. If your
            family's tradition says Perth, I'd look there first. You'd be surprised how many
            Scots went to Ireland for 3-12 months to put together the money for passage,
            then left from an Irish port and are listed in this country's records as
            coming from Ireland. You can't always trust immigration locals or early census
            records. Early census records in this country were not done the way they do them
            today. One or two people would be assigned to gather census data for their
            village or town and they would fill them out themselves- each household did not
            fill them out. If John Smith was doing census data- the Joneses may have lived
            next door, and Smith would list the Joneses names and often guessed at the
            childrens' ages and name spellings. I'd start your research in Pertshire, all
            parishes. There is a website- www.scotlandspeople.gov.org and they have most of
            the Old Parish Records and the newer statistical records. There is a fee of L6
            for access to 30 records- you can use a credit card. You can type in
            Perthshire, all records and a name and it will bring up a list of possibles. It's 1
            credit (of the 30 you purchase) to look at each name on the lisr. This might find
            you something on your Robert Young. It was not required in Scotland to keep
            birth, marriage and death records until the 1850's, but many parish ministers
            kept their own and the website does have some parish records back to the 1500's.
            Good luck on your quest. I know from my own research that before 1850, if
            your ancestor was not a tacksman, a rebel, a criminal, did not leave a will or
            estate, and did not piss-off the Kirk, he just doesn't appear in any record.
            There was no reason for his name to be written down. My Dad's family were sub-let
            farmers and younger sons so a lot of don't exist in records. But family
            tradition is stronger, in my opinion, than records in an immigrant's first several
            years in America. Happy hunting, Sandy MacAllister

          • dobie1017
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 4, 2004
              Sandy:

              Robert was banished from Scotland and gifted to George Scott, Laird
              of Pitlochie. He spent time in prison in Glasgow and Leith and sailed
              from the tollbooth of Leith aboard the ship "Henry & Francis" in
              September 1685, arriving in East Jersey in December 1685. There were
              no immigration records. Two other locations mentioned in the writings
              (mostly in books by David Dobson) were Goodburn and Avendale. I am
              currently taking a course on Ancestry.com on researching Scottish
              ancestors and have gotten some clues from the teacher. Thanks for
              your suggestion to attempt to locate Robert through the Perthshire
              parishes...it sounds like a good idea.

              Rita