Robert Young, Covenanter

  • dobie1017
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 29, 2004
      Hi: I found this site while beginning a class on researching your
      Scottish ancestors with Ancestry.com. My 6th great-grandfather was
      Robert Young. He was sent from the Leith tollbooth via the Henry &
      Francis in 1685 after being gifted to George Scott, Laird of
      Pitlochie. He landed in East Jersey in December 1685 and, 11 years
      later, became a sheriff in Newark/Essex County, NJ. Verbal family
      history indicates he came from Perth, Scotland; however, most written
      info I have seen gives his home area as being Glasgow, Lanark. I am
      not aware that he was involved in any wars, but I actually know
      nothing about him prior to his arrest except that writings indicate
      he was a cooper. Anybody else looking into this line? Can you give me
      any suggestions for sources to search?
      Look forward to hearing from any of you.
      Rita Cochran
    • Ardachu@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2004
        Dear Rita,
        One suggestion for possibly finding out more about your ancestor,
        Fobert Young, might possibly the Kirk Synod records. If you know the parish and
        the controlling regional Synod, try tracking down the Synod's records. The
        regional synods met several times a year and were basically the major enforcers of
        civil law and also some criminal law. If Robert Young fought for the
        Jacobites or was a Jacobite or Royalist sympathizer, even if he was Presbyterian, he
        would have been called before the synod, or tried in absentia, and would
        probably have been excommunicated from the Kirk for sympathizing with "Papists."
        Also see if you can track down the Sasine registers for the county- those were
        the legel leases and charters for property and many of them are at the National
        Archives in Edinburgh. Hope this helps. Good luck, Sandy MacAllister
        email at: Ardachu@...

      • Ardachu@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1, 2004
          Hi Rita- Sandy again. Forgot to mention my mother's maiden name was Cochran.
          She was from Boston, Georgia in Thomas County. All my best, Sandy
          MacAllister

        • dobie1017
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 2, 2004
            Dear Sandy:

            Thanks for your suggestions to help me find info on Robert Young.
            Unfortunately, I don't know exactly where he came from. Verbal family
            history indicates he was from Perth, but the writings I have found
            here in the US show him as being from Glasgow, Lanark. It seems my
            first order of business must be to find where he came from. Never
            fear...I have archived your suggestions so that I will have them
            available when I get closer to narrowing down his location.

            To our knowledge, my husband has no relatives from Georgia. We have
            been lucky enough to find some other relatives who have done a lot of
            research and have traced the Cochrans back to 1240 in Scotland. Since
            we've only been doing genealogy for a couple of years, we haven't
            added too much to that research.

            Do you know if your mother was related to a John Cochran who was the
            Surgeon General under George Washington in the Revolutionary War?
            That might be a starting place to see if there are any connections to
            the same Cochran line.

            Thanks again,
            Rita Cochran
          • Ardachu@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 2, 2004
              Hi Rita, Are the documents in this country stating he was from Glasgow
              immigration records? He may have sailed from aGlasgow port and therefor they would
              list him from Glasgow. He also may have been born in the town of Perth or
              somewhere in Perthshire, then moved to the Glasgow area as a young man. If your
              family's tradition says Perth, I'd look there first. You'd be surprised how many
              Scots went to Ireland for 3-12 months to put together the money for passage,
              then left from an Irish port and are listed in this country's records as
              coming from Ireland. You can't always trust immigration locals or early census
              records. Early census records in this country were not done the way they do them
              today. One or two people would be assigned to gather census data for their
              village or town and they would fill them out themselves- each household did not
              fill them out. If John Smith was doing census data- the Joneses may have lived
              next door, and Smith would list the Joneses names and often guessed at the
              childrens' ages and name spellings. I'd start your research in Pertshire, all
              parishes. There is a website- www.scotlandspeople.gov.org and they have most of
              the Old Parish Records and the newer statistical records. There is a fee of L6
              for access to 30 records- you can use a credit card. You can type in
              Perthshire, all records and a name and it will bring up a list of possibles. It's 1
              credit (of the 30 you purchase) to look at each name on the lisr. This might find
              you something on your Robert Young. It was not required in Scotland to keep
              birth, marriage and death records until the 1850's, but many parish ministers
              kept their own and the website does have some parish records back to the 1500's.
              Good luck on your quest. I know from my own research that before 1850, if
              your ancestor was not a tacksman, a rebel, a criminal, did not leave a will or
              estate, and did not piss-off the Kirk, he just doesn't appear in any record.
              There was no reason for his name to be written down. My Dad's family were sub-let
              farmers and younger sons so a lot of don't exist in records. But family
              tradition is stronger, in my opinion, than records in an immigrant's first several
              years in America. Happy hunting, Sandy MacAllister

            • dobie1017
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 4, 2004
                Sandy:

                Robert was banished from Scotland and gifted to George Scott, Laird
                of Pitlochie. He spent time in prison in Glasgow and Leith and sailed
                from the tollbooth of Leith aboard the ship "Henry & Francis" in
                September 1685, arriving in East Jersey in December 1685. There were
                no immigration records. Two other locations mentioned in the writings
                (mostly in books by David Dobson) were Goodburn and Avendale. I am
                currently taking a course on Ancestry.com on researching Scottish
                ancestors and have gotten some clues from the teacher. Thanks for
                your suggestion to attempt to locate Robert through the Perthshire
                parishes...it sounds like a good idea.

                Rita