Earl of Derby Question

  • rapaports@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 5, 2003
      Chester asked, in a 12/4 posting: "Would like to know if anyone knows where
      the
      men under the Earl of Derby would have been from. Were they from
      the Midlothian or Dumbarton area?"

      According to Malcolm Atkin's book Cromwell's Crowning Mercy: The Battle of
      Worcester 1651 (Phoenix Mill, England: Sutton Publishing, 1998), 20, the Earl of
      Derby brought brought "a small force of only 250 foot and 60 horse from the
      Isle of Man to support the King and they remained in Lancashire (northwest
      England) to try to raise further support." Atkins states that Derby then managed
      to raise about 1500 more men, apparently from the Lancashire area (so Derby's
      men probably weren't from Midlothian or Dumbarton). If you have any interest
      in the Battle of Worcester, I'd recommend Cromwell's Crowning Mercy, which
      brings the battle to life in fascinating detail, with maps, photographs and
      modern reconstruction drawings.

      Diane Rapaport

    • Cowen
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 6, 2003
        Thank you Diane,

        Would you also know if the Earl of Derby may have come from Aberdeen?
        Another bit of information has brought the area of Aberdeenshire as a
        possibility of where the men may have originated.

        Chester...
        :
[...]
        : [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
        :
        :
        :
        :
        :
        :
        :
      • Cowen
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 8, 2003
          Since you were so kind to provide me with valued information I have posted
          the following to the yahoo group: What would have been the "Grampian
          region" of Aberdeenshire?

          Respectfully,

          Chester H. Cowen
          cowen@...
          "We have this moment to hold in our hands,
          to touch as it slips through our fingers like sand....
          yesterday is gone....and tomorrow may never come...
          but we have this moment ...Today!"