Re: [ScottishWarPrisoners] Scots for Sale

  • Tom Cone
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 11, 2003
      Neile is believed to be Daniel's brother (one in a
      series of 3, collect the set!).

      >where he
      > and his descendants settled,

      Neile's descendents can, generally, be found in the
      southeast (The Carolinas, Georgia, and Alabama, With
      Texas and Arkansas in for good mix). To be sure, they
      seem a scattered group. I met one in Hawaii, and
      there are rumors of one in the Phillipines.

      > and anything else you
      > may know about him --

      Landed and had a child named Jesse shortly after
      (within 10 years?). Jesse moved to one of the
      Carolinas (I can't remember which). They did fairly
      well, and Jesse had a child named Jesse, among others.
      He was properly married (either Jesse), but I don't
      remember to who, right off the top of my head.

      > he was most likely a prisoner
      > from the Battle of Worcester.

      That tidbit is worth the price of admission. Thanks!

      >Some Comee
      > descendants believe that "Mackhome" was part of the
      > MacThomas Clan in the Glen Isla or
      > Glen Shee area (the Gaelic pronunciation of
      > MacThomas sounds like Mackhome or
      > Mackhone).

      and yet a handful of people around the net believe the
      Cones part of Clan MacDonald (which MacThomas might be
      part of, for all I know).

      You have been most helpful, and if I can do anything
      further, let me know!

      http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
    • Teresa
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 2, 2007
        Recently, I've read several articles that were recommended to me by
        another Scottish Hamilton, here they are: "Scots for Sale, Part 1: The
        fate of the Scottish prisoners in Seventeenth-century Massachusetts" and
        "Part II: Scottish prisoners in Seventeenth-century Maine and New
        Hampshire" in the New England Ancestors, Winter 2003, Vol. 4, #1, (p
        30+) and Holiday 2004, Vol. 5, No. 5-6, (p 26+), by Diane Rapaport.
        Also, see her, "Was your 17th-century ancestor a Scottish war
        prisoner?," in The Highlander" vol. 43, #1, Jan/Feb 2005, p. 38+
        Teresa (Hamilton) Rust

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 2, 2007
          Teresa, If you're the new moderator, good
          work!!!-Ericka
          --- Teresa <read2befree@...> wrote:

          > Recently, I've read several articles that were
          > recommended to me by
          > another Scottish Hamilton, here they are: "Scots
          > for Sale, Part 1: The
          > fate of the Scottish prisoners in
          > Seventeenth-century Massachusetts" and
          > "Part II: Scottish prisoners in Seventeenth-century
          > Maine and New
          > Hampshire" in the New England Ancestors, Winter
          > 2003, Vol. 4, #1, (p
          > 30+) and Holiday 2004, Vol. 5, No. 5-6, (p 26+), by
          > Diane Rapaport.
          > Also, see her, "Was your 17th-century ancestor a
          > Scottish war
          > prisoner?," in The Highlander" vol. 43, #1, Jan/Feb
          > 2005, p. 38+
          > Teresa (Hamilton) Rust

          > removed]

        • Teresa R.
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 2, 2007
            I'm not the new moderator, but I am always happy to help a fellow researcher! I will be happy to repost these to a new site if that is what will happen this week-end as Eleanor has said.
            Teresa