Re: [ScottishWarPrisoners] Scots for Sale

  • rapaports@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 11, 2003
      Jennifer and Tom,
      I'd be very interested to learn more about your Neile Mackhone -- where he
      and his descendants settled, and anything else you may know about him -- since I
      know little about Neile other than his inclusion in the John and Sara
      transport list. Since he was on the John and Sara, he was most likely a prisoner
      from the Battle of Worcester. Other kin among the John and Sara prisoners may
      have included "Dan: Mackhoe" (probably the Daniel Cone who ended up in Haddam,
      Conn.), and "David Mackhome" (most likely the David Comee who lived in Woburn
      and Concord, Mass., and died in an ambush with other Concord men trying to
      defend neighboring Sudbury during King Philips War in 1676). Some Comee
      descendants believe that "Mackhome" was part of the MacThomas Clan in the Glen Isla or
      Glen Shee area (the Gaelic pronunciation of MacThomas sounds like Mackhome or
      Mackhone).
      Regards,
      Diane Rapaport

    • Tom Cone
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 11, 2003
        Neile is believed to be Daniel's brother (one in a
        series of 3, collect the set!).

        >where he
        > and his descendants settled,

        Neile's descendents can, generally, be found in the
        southeast (The Carolinas, Georgia, and Alabama, With
        Texas and Arkansas in for good mix). To be sure, they
        seem a scattered group. I met one in Hawaii, and
        there are rumors of one in the Phillipines.

        > and anything else you
        > may know about him --

        Landed and had a child named Jesse shortly after
        (within 10 years?). Jesse moved to one of the
        Carolinas (I can't remember which). They did fairly
        well, and Jesse had a child named Jesse, among others.
        He was properly married (either Jesse), but I don't
        remember to who, right off the top of my head.

        > he was most likely a prisoner
        > from the Battle of Worcester.

        That tidbit is worth the price of admission. Thanks!

        >Some Comee
        > descendants believe that "Mackhome" was part of the
        > MacThomas Clan in the Glen Isla or
        > Glen Shee area (the Gaelic pronunciation of
        > MacThomas sounds like Mackhome or
        > Mackhone).

        and yet a handful of people around the net believe the
        Cones part of Clan MacDonald (which MacThomas might be
        part of, for all I know).

        You have been most helpful, and if I can do anything
        further, let me know!

        http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
      • Teresa
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 2, 2007
          Recently, I've read several articles that were recommended to me by
          another Scottish Hamilton, here they are: "Scots for Sale, Part 1: The
          fate of the Scottish prisoners in Seventeenth-century Massachusetts" and
          "Part II: Scottish prisoners in Seventeenth-century Maine and New
          Hampshire" in the New England Ancestors, Winter 2003, Vol. 4, #1, (p
          30+) and Holiday 2004, Vol. 5, No. 5-6, (p 26+), by Diane Rapaport.
          Also, see her, "Was your 17th-century ancestor a Scottish war
          prisoner?," in The Highlander" vol. 43, #1, Jan/Feb 2005, p. 38+
          Teresa (Hamilton) Rust

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 2, 2007
            Teresa, If you're the new moderator, good
            work!!!-Ericka
            --- Teresa <read2befree@...> wrote:

            > Recently, I've read several articles that were
            > recommended to me by
            > another Scottish Hamilton, here they are: "Scots
            > for Sale, Part 1: The
            > fate of the Scottish prisoners in
            > Seventeenth-century Massachusetts" and
            > "Part II: Scottish prisoners in Seventeenth-century
            > Maine and New
            > Hampshire" in the New England Ancestors, Winter
            > 2003, Vol. 4, #1, (p
            > 30+) and Holiday 2004, Vol. 5, No. 5-6, (p 26+), by
            > Diane Rapaport.
            > Also, see her, "Was your 17th-century ancestor a
            > Scottish war
            > prisoner?," in The Highlander" vol. 43, #1, Jan/Feb
            > 2005, p. 38+
            > Teresa (Hamilton) Rust

            > removed]

          • Teresa R.
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 2, 2007
              I'm not the new moderator, but I am always happy to help a fellow researcher! I will be happy to repost these to a new site if that is what will happen this week-end as Eleanor has said.
              Teresa