Re: [ScottishWarPrisoners] Scots for Sale

  • Tom Cone
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 10, 2003
      > My interest is
      > in Neile Mackhone.

      I was beginning to think I was the only one. Good
      to see someone interested in Neil(sp?). I've managed
      to figure as far back as the Battle of Worcester or
      Dunbar (not sure which). Neither of which is
      necessarily true, but they seem the most likely.

      I'd love to get my hands on the criminal records for
      these people, but it probably says something like "war
      criminal" for every Scot picked up that day.

      They were imprisoned in Gravesham/Gravesend in Kent,
      England.

      That's what I've got, and it applies to pretty much
      the lot of Scots on board the John and Sarah, probably
      Unity. Reading about the Battle of Worcester, even
      without details regarding the grunts, was quite
      enjoyable.

      -Tom Cone, Regent of my domicile... until the wife
      gets home.

      http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
    • rapaports@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 11, 2003
        Jennifer and Tom,
        I'd be very interested to learn more about your Neile Mackhone -- where he
        and his descendants settled, and anything else you may know about him -- since I
        know little about Neile other than his inclusion in the John and Sara
        transport list. Since he was on the John and Sara, he was most likely a prisoner
        from the Battle of Worcester. Other kin among the John and Sara prisoners may
        have included "Dan: Mackhoe" (probably the Daniel Cone who ended up in Haddam,
        Conn.), and "David Mackhome" (most likely the David Comee who lived in Woburn
        and Concord, Mass., and died in an ambush with other Concord men trying to
        defend neighboring Sudbury during King Philips War in 1676). Some Comee
        descendants believe that "Mackhome" was part of the MacThomas Clan in the Glen Isla or
        Glen Shee area (the Gaelic pronunciation of MacThomas sounds like Mackhome or
        Mackhone).
        Regards,
        Diane Rapaport

      • Tom Cone
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 11, 2003
          Neile is believed to be Daniel's brother (one in a
          series of 3, collect the set!).

          >where he
          > and his descendants settled,

          Neile's descendents can, generally, be found in the
          southeast (The Carolinas, Georgia, and Alabama, With
          Texas and Arkansas in for good mix). To be sure, they
          seem a scattered group. I met one in Hawaii, and
          there are rumors of one in the Phillipines.

          > and anything else you
          > may know about him --

          Landed and had a child named Jesse shortly after
          (within 10 years?). Jesse moved to one of the
          Carolinas (I can't remember which). They did fairly
          well, and Jesse had a child named Jesse, among others.
          He was properly married (either Jesse), but I don't
          remember to who, right off the top of my head.

          > he was most likely a prisoner
          > from the Battle of Worcester.

          That tidbit is worth the price of admission. Thanks!

          >Some Comee
          > descendants believe that "Mackhome" was part of the
          > MacThomas Clan in the Glen Isla or
          > Glen Shee area (the Gaelic pronunciation of
          > MacThomas sounds like Mackhome or
          > Mackhone).

          and yet a handful of people around the net believe the
          Cones part of Clan MacDonald (which MacThomas might be
          part of, for all I know).

          You have been most helpful, and if I can do anything
          further, let me know!

          http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
        • Teresa
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 2, 2007
            Recently, I've read several articles that were recommended to me by
            another Scottish Hamilton, here they are: "Scots for Sale, Part 1: The
            fate of the Scottish prisoners in Seventeenth-century Massachusetts" and
            "Part II: Scottish prisoners in Seventeenth-century Maine and New
            Hampshire" in the New England Ancestors, Winter 2003, Vol. 4, #1, (p
            30+) and Holiday 2004, Vol. 5, No. 5-6, (p 26+), by Diane Rapaport.
            Also, see her, "Was your 17th-century ancestor a Scottish war
            prisoner?," in The Highlander" vol. 43, #1, Jan/Feb 2005, p. 38+
            Teresa (Hamilton) Rust

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 2, 2007
              Teresa, If you're the new moderator, good
              work!!!-Ericka
              --- Teresa <read2befree@...> wrote:

              > Recently, I've read several articles that were
              > recommended to me by
              > another Scottish Hamilton, here they are: "Scots
              > for Sale, Part 1: The
              > fate of the Scottish prisoners in
              > Seventeenth-century Massachusetts" and
              > "Part II: Scottish prisoners in Seventeenth-century
              > Maine and New
              > Hampshire" in the New England Ancestors, Winter
              > 2003, Vol. 4, #1, (p
              > 30+) and Holiday 2004, Vol. 5, No. 5-6, (p 26+), by
              > Diane Rapaport.
              > Also, see her, "Was your 17th-century ancestor a
              > Scottish war
              > prisoner?," in The Highlander" vol. 43, #1, Jan/Feb
              > 2005, p. 38+
              > Teresa (Hamilton) Rust

              > removed]

            • Teresa R.
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 2, 2007
                I'm not the new moderator, but I am always happy to help a fellow researcher! I will be happy to repost these to a new site if that is what will happen this week-end as Eleanor has said.
                Teresa