Scots for Sale

  • JennyCone@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 10, 2003
      Hello Diane,

      Glad you have joined our group. I am interested in your book and hope you
      will let us know when you publish it. My interest is in Neile Mackhone who is
      listed among the prisoners from the Battle of Worcester aboard the "John and
      Sarah" in 1651. I found the list quite by accident some years ago while skimming
      an old issue of the The New England Historical and Genealogical Register. That
      was the first I had ever heard about these Scotsmen.

      Jennifer Cone

    • Tom Cone
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 10, 2003
        > My interest is
        > in Neile Mackhone.

        I was beginning to think I was the only one. Good
        to see someone interested in Neil(sp?). I've managed
        to figure as far back as the Battle of Worcester or
        Dunbar (not sure which). Neither of which is
        necessarily true, but they seem the most likely.

        I'd love to get my hands on the criminal records for
        these people, but it probably says something like "war
        criminal" for every Scot picked up that day.

        They were imprisoned in Gravesham/Gravesend in Kent,
        England.

        That's what I've got, and it applies to pretty much
        the lot of Scots on board the John and Sarah, probably
        Unity. Reading about the Battle of Worcester, even
        without details regarding the grunts, was quite
        enjoyable.

        -Tom Cone, Regent of my domicile... until the wife
        gets home.

        http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
      • rapaports@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 11, 2003
          Jennifer and Tom,
          I'd be very interested to learn more about your Neile Mackhone -- where he
          and his descendants settled, and anything else you may know about him -- since I
          know little about Neile other than his inclusion in the John and Sara
          transport list. Since he was on the John and Sara, he was most likely a prisoner
          from the Battle of Worcester. Other kin among the John and Sara prisoners may
          have included "Dan: Mackhoe" (probably the Daniel Cone who ended up in Haddam,
          Conn.), and "David Mackhome" (most likely the David Comee who lived in Woburn
          and Concord, Mass., and died in an ambush with other Concord men trying to
          defend neighboring Sudbury during King Philips War in 1676). Some Comee
          descendants believe that "Mackhome" was part of the MacThomas Clan in the Glen Isla or
          Glen Shee area (the Gaelic pronunciation of MacThomas sounds like Mackhome or
          Mackhone).
          Regards,
          Diane Rapaport

        • Tom Cone
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 11, 2003
            Neile is believed to be Daniel's brother (one in a
            series of 3, collect the set!).

            >where he
            > and his descendants settled,

            Neile's descendents can, generally, be found in the
            southeast (The Carolinas, Georgia, and Alabama, With
            Texas and Arkansas in for good mix). To be sure, they
            seem a scattered group. I met one in Hawaii, and
            there are rumors of one in the Phillipines.

            > and anything else you
            > may know about him --

            Landed and had a child named Jesse shortly after
            (within 10 years?). Jesse moved to one of the
            Carolinas (I can't remember which). They did fairly
            well, and Jesse had a child named Jesse, among others.
            He was properly married (either Jesse), but I don't
            remember to who, right off the top of my head.

            > he was most likely a prisoner
            > from the Battle of Worcester.

            That tidbit is worth the price of admission. Thanks!

            >Some Comee
            > descendants believe that "Mackhome" was part of the
            > MacThomas Clan in the Glen Isla or
            > Glen Shee area (the Gaelic pronunciation of
            > MacThomas sounds like Mackhome or
            > Mackhone).

            and yet a handful of people around the net believe the
            Cones part of Clan MacDonald (which MacThomas might be
            part of, for all I know).

            You have been most helpful, and if I can do anything
            further, let me know!

            http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
          • Teresa
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 2, 2007
              Recently, I've read several articles that were recommended to me by
              another Scottish Hamilton, here they are: "Scots for Sale, Part 1: The
              fate of the Scottish prisoners in Seventeenth-century Massachusetts" and
              "Part II: Scottish prisoners in Seventeenth-century Maine and New
              Hampshire" in the New England Ancestors, Winter 2003, Vol. 4, #1, (p
              30+) and Holiday 2004, Vol. 5, No. 5-6, (p 26+), by Diane Rapaport.
              Also, see her, "Was your 17th-century ancestor a Scottish war
              prisoner?," in The Highlander" vol. 43, #1, Jan/Feb 2005, p. 38+
              Teresa (Hamilton) Rust

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 2, 2007
                Teresa, If you're the new moderator, good
                work!!!-Ericka
                --- Teresa <read2befree@...> wrote:

                > Recently, I've read several articles that were
                > recommended to me by
                > another Scottish Hamilton, here they are: "Scots
                > for Sale, Part 1: The
                > fate of the Scottish prisoners in
                > Seventeenth-century Massachusetts" and
                > "Part II: Scottish prisoners in Seventeenth-century
                > Maine and New
                > Hampshire" in the New England Ancestors, Winter
                > 2003, Vol. 4, #1, (p
                > 30+) and Holiday 2004, Vol. 5, No. 5-6, (p 26+), by
                > Diane Rapaport.
                > Also, see her, "Was your 17th-century ancestor a
                > Scottish war
                > prisoner?," in The Highlander" vol. 43, #1, Jan/Feb
                > 2005, p. 38+
                > Teresa (Hamilton) Rust

                > removed]

              • Teresa R.
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 2, 2007
                  I'm not the new moderator, but I am always happy to help a fellow researcher! I will be happy to repost these to a new site if that is what will happen this week-end as Eleanor has said.
                  Teresa