Re: [ScottishWarPrisoners] Re:Scots for sale

  • rapaports@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 10, 2003
      Dear John,
      Thanks for writing. I'm always pleased to hear from descendants of the
      17th-Century Scottish war prisoners. You, and others in this group, may be
      interested to read a newspaper article from Sunday's Boston-area MetroWest Daily
      News, also published online, about a talk I'll be giving next Sunday in Wayland,
      Mass.:
      <A HREF="http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/news/columnists/colsherwood11092003.htm">http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/news/columnists/colsherwood11092003.htm</A> .

      I'm familiar with your ancestor George Gray, but unfortunately I don't have
      any definitive information about what part of Scotland he came from. Some
      secondary genealogical sources have suggested a tradition that he came from
      Ireland (perhaps he or his parents were among the many Scots who migrated to Ireland
      in the 1600s), but there's no primary-source evidence that I'm aware of.
      It's also not certain that he fought at the Battle of Dunbar and arrived on the
      Unity (since no Unity transport list has been found), but it's very likely that
      he did, and that he worked at the sawmills in the Berwick area. There are a
      number of references to George Gray in the old Maine court records, which have
      been published in a multi-volume series called The Province and Court Records
      of Maine.
      Regards,
      Diane Rapaport