Re:Scots for sale

  • J.Gray
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 8, 2003
      Hello,I just wanted to let you know about George Gray.
      He was captured at the "Battle of Dunbar" in 1650 and
      sent here on the "Unity",then sent to Berwick Maine to
      work in a sawmill.
      I don't know to much more about where he originally
      came from in Scotland,That's what I am trying to find
      out!! thanks
      John Gray

      http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
    • rapaports@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 10, 2003
        Dear John,
        Thanks for writing. I'm always pleased to hear from descendants of the
        17th-Century Scottish war prisoners. You, and others in this group, may be
        interested to read a newspaper article from Sunday's Boston-area MetroWest Daily
        News, also published online, about a talk I'll be giving next Sunday in Wayland,
        Mass.:
        <A HREF="http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/news/columnists/colsherwood11092003.htm">http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/news/columnists/colsherwood11092003.htm</A> .

        I'm familiar with your ancestor George Gray, but unfortunately I don't have
        any definitive information about what part of Scotland he came from. Some
        secondary genealogical sources have suggested a tradition that he came from
        Ireland (perhaps he or his parents were among the many Scots who migrated to Ireland
        in the 1600s), but there's no primary-source evidence that I'm aware of.
        It's also not certain that he fought at the Battle of Dunbar and arrived on the
        Unity (since no Unity transport list has been found), but it's very likely that
        he did, and that he worked at the sawmills in the Berwick area. There are a
        number of references to George Gray in the old Maine court records, which have
        been published in a multi-volume series called The Province and Court Records
        of Maine.
        Regards,
        Diane Rapaport