Re: [ScottishWarPrisoners] Re:Scots for sale

  • rapaports@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 6, 2003
      Hi Jan,
      An expanded version of my "Scots for Sale" article is archived on the website
      of the New England Historic Genealogical Society, <A HREF="www.NewEnglandAncestors.org">www.NewEnglandAncestors.org</A>
      , but I believe that it can be accessed online only by NEHGS members. If
      you're not a member, your local library probably can obtain a copy of the Winter
      2003 issue of the New England Ancestors magazine where "Scots for Sale"
      originally appeared last January. Otherwise, if you can't obtain access to it,
      please let me know and I'll see that you get a copy. For anyone with an interest
      in genealogy and family history, however, NEHGS membership is something you
      should seriously consider, because NEHGS has an enormous online database
      available to members, as well as a wonderful collection of rare volumes that you can
      borrow by mail through their Circulating Library. NEHGS is not just for New
      England research -- their collection is much broader than that. There's more
      information at the website about membership costs and benefits, or I'd be glad
      to put you in touch with someone at NEHGS who could tell you more if you're
      interested.

      My Scots for Sale book is in progress, but I have not yet decided whether to
      self publish or to go with a commercial publisher, so there's no definite
      publication date. (And I'm continuing my research, so I welcome leads and
      information from descendants of the Scottish war prisoners.) My reference book, New
      England Court Records: A Research Guide for Genealogists and Historians, is
      still likely more than a year from publication; NEHGS is planning a publication
      date in 2005.

      And yes, I'm definitely aware of Daniel Cone. He's not included in my "Scots
      for Sale" article, which focused primarily on Scottish war prisoners from
      Middlesex County, Massachusetts, but another Daniel Cone descendant (Anne Willson
      Whitehead) contacted me after reading my article to tell me about him. I
      might not have guessed that he was Scots if I had not learned of family tradition
      about his origin, since "Cone" must be a shortened version of his original
      Scottish name. Anne Whitehead's letter to New England Ancestors magazine about
      Daniel Cone was published in the "Letters & Feedback" section of the Summer
      2003 issue.

      My research has turned up information suggesting that Daniel Cone was a
      servant of John Winthrop the Younger (who was governor of Connecticut and son of
      the first governor of Massachusetts). Cone is referred to as "Winthrop's man"
      in some of John Pynchon's account records from old Springfield: see Carl
      Bridenbaugh and Juliette Tomlinson, ed., The Pynchon Papers, Vol. II., Selections
      from the Account Books of John Pynchon, 1651-1697 (Boston: The Colonial Society
      of Massachusetts, University Press of Virginia, 1985), 272-273. Only a small
      sampling of Pynchon's account records have been transcribed and published, so
      eventually I plan to review the originals (on microfilm) at the Massachusetts
      Historical Society to see if Pynchon's papers include more about Daniel Cone
      and other Scottish war prisoners in western Massachusetts and Connecticut.

      Diane

    • J.Gray
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 8, 2003
        Hello,I just wanted to let you know about George Gray.
        He was captured at the "Battle of Dunbar" in 1650 and
        sent here on the "Unity",then sent to Berwick Maine to
        work in a sawmill.
        I don't know to much more about where he originally
        came from in Scotland,That's what I am trying to find
        out!! thanks
        John Gray

        http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
      • rapaports@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 10, 2003
          Dear John,
          Thanks for writing. I'm always pleased to hear from descendants of the
          17th-Century Scottish war prisoners. You, and others in this group, may be
          interested to read a newspaper article from Sunday's Boston-area MetroWest Daily
          News, also published online, about a talk I'll be giving next Sunday in Wayland,
          Mass.:
          <A HREF="http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/news/columnists/colsherwood11092003.htm">http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/news/columnists/colsherwood11092003.htm</A> .

          I'm familiar with your ancestor George Gray, but unfortunately I don't have
          any definitive information about what part of Scotland he came from. Some
          secondary genealogical sources have suggested a tradition that he came from
          Ireland (perhaps he or his parents were among the many Scots who migrated to Ireland
          in the 1600s), but there's no primary-source evidence that I'm aware of.
          It's also not certain that he fought at the Battle of Dunbar and arrived on the
          Unity (since no Unity transport list has been found), but it's very likely that
          he did, and that he worked at the sawmills in the Berwick area. There are a
          number of references to George Gray in the old Maine court records, which have
          been published in a multi-volume series called The Province and Court Records
          of Maine.
          Regards,
          Diane Rapaport