Re:Scots for sale

  • Larry Highman
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 6, 2003
      Hi Diane,
      Welcome, and I'm glad that you found us too. I plan to visit the website
      to see your article. when is your book due out? Where will it be
      available? Have you run across Daniel Cone of Haddam CT?

      We are a sometimes quiet group, I'm hoping we will become more active.

      Jan

      Send a QuickGreet with MSN Messenger
      http://www.msnmessenger-download.com/tracking/cdp_games
    • rapaports@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 6, 2003
        Hi Jan,
        An expanded version of my "Scots for Sale" article is archived on the website
        of the New England Historic Genealogical Society, <A HREF="www.NewEnglandAncestors.org">www.NewEnglandAncestors.org</A>
        , but I believe that it can be accessed online only by NEHGS members. If
        you're not a member, your local library probably can obtain a copy of the Winter
        2003 issue of the New England Ancestors magazine where "Scots for Sale"
        originally appeared last January. Otherwise, if you can't obtain access to it,
        please let me know and I'll see that you get a copy. For anyone with an interest
        in genealogy and family history, however, NEHGS membership is something you
        should seriously consider, because NEHGS has an enormous online database
        available to members, as well as a wonderful collection of rare volumes that you can
        borrow by mail through their Circulating Library. NEHGS is not just for New
        England research -- their collection is much broader than that. There's more
        information at the website about membership costs and benefits, or I'd be glad
        to put you in touch with someone at NEHGS who could tell you more if you're
        interested.

        My Scots for Sale book is in progress, but I have not yet decided whether to
        self publish or to go with a commercial publisher, so there's no definite
        publication date. (And I'm continuing my research, so I welcome leads and
        information from descendants of the Scottish war prisoners.) My reference book, New
        England Court Records: A Research Guide for Genealogists and Historians, is
        still likely more than a year from publication; NEHGS is planning a publication
        date in 2005.

        And yes, I'm definitely aware of Daniel Cone. He's not included in my "Scots
        for Sale" article, which focused primarily on Scottish war prisoners from
        Middlesex County, Massachusetts, but another Daniel Cone descendant (Anne Willson
        Whitehead) contacted me after reading my article to tell me about him. I
        might not have guessed that he was Scots if I had not learned of family tradition
        about his origin, since "Cone" must be a shortened version of his original
        Scottish name. Anne Whitehead's letter to New England Ancestors magazine about
        Daniel Cone was published in the "Letters & Feedback" section of the Summer
        2003 issue.

        My research has turned up information suggesting that Daniel Cone was a
        servant of John Winthrop the Younger (who was governor of Connecticut and son of
        the first governor of Massachusetts). Cone is referred to as "Winthrop's man"
        in some of John Pynchon's account records from old Springfield: see Carl
        Bridenbaugh and Juliette Tomlinson, ed., The Pynchon Papers, Vol. II., Selections
        from the Account Books of John Pynchon, 1651-1697 (Boston: The Colonial Society
        of Massachusetts, University Press of Virginia, 1985), 272-273. Only a small
        sampling of Pynchon's account records have been transcribed and published, so
        eventually I plan to review the originals (on microfilm) at the Massachusetts
        Historical Society to see if Pynchon's papers include more about Daniel Cone
        and other Scottish war prisoners in western Massachusetts and Connecticut.

        Diane

      • J.Gray
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 8, 2003
          Hello,I just wanted to let you know about George Gray.
          He was captured at the "Battle of Dunbar" in 1650 and
          sent here on the "Unity",then sent to Berwick Maine to
          work in a sawmill.
          I don't know to much more about where he originally
          came from in Scotland,That's what I am trying to find
          out!! thanks
          John Gray

          http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
        • rapaports@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 10, 2003
            Dear John,
            Thanks for writing. I'm always pleased to hear from descendants of the
            17th-Century Scottish war prisoners. You, and others in this group, may be
            interested to read a newspaper article from Sunday's Boston-area MetroWest Daily
            News, also published online, about a talk I'll be giving next Sunday in Wayland,
            Mass.:
            <A HREF="http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/news/columnists/colsherwood11092003.htm">http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/news/columnists/colsherwood11092003.htm</A> .

            I'm familiar with your ancestor George Gray, but unfortunately I don't have
            any definitive information about what part of Scotland he came from. Some
            secondary genealogical sources have suggested a tradition that he came from
            Ireland (perhaps he or his parents were among the many Scots who migrated to Ireland
            in the 1600s), but there's no primary-source evidence that I'm aware of.
            It's also not certain that he fought at the Battle of Dunbar and arrived on the
            Unity (since no Unity transport list has been found), but it's very likely that
            he did, and that he worked at the sawmills in the Berwick area. There are a
            number of references to George Gray in the old Maine court records, which have
            been published in a multi-volume series called The Province and Court Records
            of Maine.
            Regards,
            Diane Rapaport