"Scots for Sale"

  • Diane Rapaport
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2003
      Hello,
      I'm very pleased to have found your group, because I'm writing a
      book, "Scots for Sale," about the Scots who were exiled to New
      England by Oliver Cromwell in the 1600s. I am a Massachusetts
      historian and lawyer, and I have spent years studying the Battles of
      Dunbar and Worcester and tracing the fate of the Scots prisoners.
      My article, "Scots for Sale: The Fate of the Scottish Prisoners in
      Seventeenth-Century Massachusetts," was published last January in
      the Winter 2003 issue of "New England Ancestors" magazine, with an
      expanded version posted online at the New England Historic
      Genealogical Society website, www.NewEnglandAncestors.org. I also
      presented a paper, "Scottish Slavery in Seventeenth-Century New
      England," at the Dublin Seminar for New England Folklife last June
      in Deerfield, Massachusetts.

      If any of you live in or near Massachusetts, you may be interested
      in attending one of several free talks I'll be giving on the
      subject: on November 9, 3:00 PM, with the Lancaster Historical
      Society in the Red Room of the Thayer Performing Arts Center,
      Atlantic Union College, 438 Main Street, South Lancaster,
      Massachusetts; on November 16, 3:00 PM, with the Wayland and Sudbury
      Historical Societies at First Parish Unitarian Church, intersection
      of Routes 20, 27 and 126, Wayland, Massachusetts; and May 19, 10:00
      AM, at the New England Historic Genealogical Society, 101 Newbury
      Street, Boston, Massachusetts.

      My research is continuing, and I look forward to reading the
      archived messages in this group, because I'm sure that many of you
      have information that will help me in writing my "Scots for Sale"
      book. I am also working on another book, to be published by the
      New England Historic Genealogical Society, entitled "New England
      Court Records: A Research Guide for Genealogists and Historians."
      As you may know, court records are a valuable source of information
      about the Scottish war prisoners.

      Regards,
      Diane Rapaport