Re: [ScottishWarPrisoners] Coehon

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 21 2:50 PM
      chestercowen wrote:

      > I would like to know if you find a John Coehon, Colquhoun or Cowen
      > listed at one of the mills being mentioned. In appreciation I
      > remain,

      Where do you first find this John Coehon in America? A Rhonda McLure
      posted in Genforum/immigrants and I have confirmed that about 150
      prisoners were sent to the Massachusetts Bay Colony about 1650 on the
      ship UNITY to work as indenture laborers at the Ironworks at Saugus and
      Braintree. There is no list of these men but VRs and Ironworks records
      do mention a number of them

      The second group sent arrived in Boston in Sept 1651 and there is a list
      of the men which has been published in a number of forms. Most of these
      men did not work at the Ironworks.

      I have just learned of Dobson's book "Directory of Scots Banished to the
      American Plantations 1650 - 1775". The New York Public Library has 32
      entries for books and pamphlets by David Dobson including the above. Go
      to the libry web site and look at the entries. You may be able to find
      some in a nearby library or order through ILL.

      The difference between a slave and an indentured servant was the former
      was in bondage for life while the latter was in bondage for a term of
      years or until he or she paid off the cost of transport.

      cliff wrote:

      > Seeing that some of our familes were indentured servants it has come
      > to my attention that they were reguarded as slaves and what?
      > war crimnals and were not worth the mentioning.>

      See the above for the basic difference between slave and indentured
      servant. the men on the UNITY and JOHN and SARAH were war prisoners,
      not was criminals. They supported and fought for the royalist cause and
      lost. Banishment to the colonies was a common punishment.

      > I know that in the Franklin Ma. Library it mentions servants and free
      > men.Seeing my family mentioned there I originaly thought "free men"
      > was an org. like the Masons. Futher research cleared that trouble up.

      for the benefit of others, a man became a freeman if he owned property,
      was a member of the recognized church and swore an oath to the
      government. there are several detailed explanations that can be found
      in a Google search.

      > Chances are I may never know how James Mackorwithey [MacWithey]
      > arrived and or sailed from what port.>

      Again, when does he first show up in America. I do not see any name
      similar on the JOHN and SARAH list.

      > I certanly hope that our reporting skills since that time have been
      > honed to a better edge.>

      The reporting skills existed in those days. What the government
      required gives detail found. And these records are 350 years old. Of
      course many of the reports have been lost.

      bob gillis
    • chestercowen
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 3, 2003
        Bob you will find a John Coehon listed on the John & Sarah, 1651-52
        that arrived at Charlestown either February or May 1652. I am not
        certain yet but he may have worked aboard ship between Boston and
        the West Indies the four years that he can not be found in MA. He
        became John Cowen of Scituate, MA.
        I was disconnected from Yahoo and just learned this today.
        Chester...
        --- In ScottishWarPrisoners@yahoogroups.com, bob gillis