Walter Jackson - Battle of Worcester September 3, 1651

  • susang1400
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3 8:53 AM
      Hello!

      I am doing research on the family of my 82-year-old mother Ruth
      Louise Jackson Sinclair (Mrs. John P. Green. She was born in
      Waltham, Massachusetts, a suburb of Boston. She now lives in
      southern New Jersey.
      Recently I learned that her grandfather Edward Cross Jackson (her
      mother's father) is descended from Walter Jackson. Born about 1630
      in Soctland, Walter Jackson could read and write. He fought with
      Charles II at the Battle of Worcester on September 3, 1651 in
      Worcester, England. Captured by the soldiers of Oliver Cromwell,
      Walter Jackson was sent to the American colonies in November 1651 on
      the ship John and Sara. It landed in Boston, Massachusetts Bay
      Colony in Febnruary 1652. A Mr. Nicholas Lissen who owned lumber
      mills in Exeter, New Hamsphire paid the ships's captain the passage
      money of Walter Jackson. For seven years Walter Jackson worked for
      Mr. Lissen as an indentured serveant. After this time Walter Jackson
      was given his freedom. In 1683 Walter Jackson died in Durham, New
      Hampshire.
      Would anyone know to hwom I should write to find out in what
      regiment of the army of Charles II Walter Jackson served in the
      Battle of Worcester? I consulted the book A Regimental History of
      the Covenanting Armies 1639 - 1651 by Edwar M. Furgol, published in
      1990 by John Donald Publishers Ltd. in Edinburgh, Scotland. This
      book only lists the officers in the armies of Charles II during that
      time. Walter Jackson was not listad. I obtained this book on
      Interlibrary Loan at my local public library.
      I think if I could find out in what unit of Charles II's army
      Walter Jackson fought I could find out where in Scotland he was
      born. In 2004 my mother, brother,sister and I want to go to
      Scotland. We would like to visit the place where Walter Jackson was
      born.
      My motehr is the only one of her brothers and sisters still
      living and would like to learn as much as possible about her family.
      We appreciate any assistance you can supply.

      Sincerely,

      Susan M. Grady
      Alexandria, Virginia

      P.S. Is there an organization in the United States for people who
      are descended from Scots prisoners who fought for Charles II at the
      Battles of Dunbar and Worcester?