Coming On Board

  • ConeModerator23@AOL.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 17 6:42 AM
      Hello to the List
      I am Wm. Cone of Georgia. I joined your list yesterday and this is my first
      post. I have followed the John and Sara list in that on the list is # 150 is
      Neile Mackhone and that I conceive him to be Neile McConne of the Isle of
      Wight Parrish Virginia. A will was recorded for Neile McConne in that Parish in
      1680.

      What sets Isle of Wight as that the Master of the John and Sara was John
      Greene, recorded to be of the Isle of Wight Parish. Neile Mcconne seems to be
      the probable progemtor of the Cone families from Virginia into North Carolina
      down to mainly Georgia and Florida and too including South Carolina, Alabama,
      Mississippi, Louisanna and Texas.

      This research has been accomplished within a group of Cone researchers over
      a period of years. Both by hand to hand and within the past years across the
      Internet. Adding also that DNA research has been so added within the past
      three years. To those that are researching the Daniel Cone group I might add that
      several of that group also were included in the DNA testing. Some markers did
      relate but did show a different progenitor.

      Adding here is that I discovered the Regiment List of the Battle of
      Worcestor, UK. This list of the regiments is in the Museum of Edinburgh Castle in
      Scotland. With the aid of some in Scotland the search is on to the possible
      records of the men of these regiments is there in Scotland.

      When it comes to Daniel Cone being listed, two things are here in that # 147
      is listed as Mackhoe, Dan to be Daniel Cone. Comparing # 147 and # 150 there
      is a similarity in that # 147 is the same as # 150 in the spelling exception
      being the "n" is missing. The Clan Donald lays fact to the best and more
      possible that these two are progenitors of Cone's as we are of Clan Donald as record
      in other records of Scotland. There also is a John, David, William and Samuel
      as well that could be probable.

      One point is that several of these lists are there to be found and yet the
      spellings have been construed as different with even possible being added to
      other surnames. Another point is that the Owner of the John and Sara is said to
      be of Charlestown. New Hampshire I would presume as this was a major
      shipbuilding port in that time with the owners being connected to families in England.
      And often these owners did realize who was buttering the bread for profit and
      therefore even loyal to the English for the aspect of being profitable in
      their ventures. So to say that all the prisoners melted into New England would
      forego the market of selling indentured to the plantations of Virginia, of
      whence crops and goods were produced to be sent back to England.

      I close at this point as I may be reaching a limit. But I will look forward
      to responses.

      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 18 6:41 AM
        William Cone <ConeModerator23@...> wrote:

        > I have followed the John and Sara list in that on the list is # 150 is
        > Neile Mackhone and that I conceive him to be Neile McConne of the Isle of
        > Wight Parrish Virginia. A will was recorded for Neile McConne in that Parish > in 1680.

        Depending on what transcription of the John and Sara list you are
        reading, the order number varies.

        In GenForum on 12 Sep 2000 Inez Foster quotes from one of two articles:
        "A few are known to have gone to Connecticut and as far as New Jersey
        when they had served their time."

        As far as I have found, all the men on the John and Sara were landed at
        Boston. the ship apparently went on to Barbados with goods loaded in
        New England. Nothing says that any of the Scots went to Barbadoes.

        > What sets Isle of Wight as that the Master of the John and Sara was
        John
        > Greene, recorded to be of the Isle of Wight Parish.>

        You have evidence that connects the John Greene master of the John and
        Sara to the one in the Isle of Wight Parish Virginia. Since one of the
        men who signed letters to the consignee in Boston, Thomas Kemble, and to
        Capt John Greene was one William Greene. The letter to John Greene
        ends "...wishing you a happy and safe Retourne we remain your loving
        friends, John Beex, Robert Rich and Will. Greene"

        snip

        > Another point is that the Owner of the John and Sara is said to be of Charlestown. > New Hampshire I would presume as this was a major shipbuilding port in that time > with the owners being connected to families in England.>

        Who was the owner of the John and Sara? I would suspect that the three
        men above were the owners and that John Greene was a relative of
        William.

        Charlestown was in the Massachusetts Bay Colony, across the Charles
        River from Boston and now part of Boston.

        There is mention of the early shipbuilding in New England. Many towns
        including Boston, Charlestown and Salem had ship builders but in the mid
        17th Century I think they built small coastal and fishing boats.

        > And often these owners did realize who was buttering the bread for profit and
        > therefore even loyal to the English for the aspect of being profitable in
        > their ventures. So to say that all the prisoners melted into New England would
        > forego the market of selling indentured to the plantations of Virginia, of
        > whence crops and goods were produced to be sent back to England.

        Interesting point but is there any documentation?

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 19 2:08 PM
          ConeModerator23@... wrote:

          snip

          After replying I looked at the group archives and found a large number
          of messages about Neile McCone.

          bob gillis
        • Rose
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 24 1:07 PM
            to moderater:
            I realize that you are discussing a different family
            line, but I am searching for a family line of
            ROSEBERRY.
            The family is from Scotland, and England. They came to
            the America's in the early 1700's. If you can find any
            information regarding this family line, I would
            appreciate any thing that you may have.
            Thank you, Gloria Roseberry gypsy95@...

            http://sbc.yahoo.com