Re: Introduction and James Adams

  • BaggyGenes
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 15, 1999
      Welcome, all new listers. Hopefully, we can resolve some of the issues that have been plaguing those of us with Covenanter ancestors. We now know of two ships (Thank you, Dale) transporting Scots prisoners to the colonies: "Unity" and the "Sarah & Johnson", which evidently has a list of transportees on-line -- I'm trying to dig up the URL, but if anyone else knows what it is, please go ahead and post.

      A few research possibilities that I'd like to share, since few of us have answers at this point.

      According to a book that Jan has, it sounds as if many, if not most, of the prisoners from both Dubar and Worcester were shipped out of the port of Bristol. I suspect that's one place we need to start checking for lists. I'm trying to track down the proper source to check, but it's slow going. Will update when there's something to report. Meanwhile, everyone else feel free to dig in!

      A few other possibilities: The British Maritime Museum might have something or know where to look. Public Records offices in both Scotland and England. Grayfriars Kirk (Church) in Durham, England, where prisoners from the Battle of Dunbar were held for several months.

      I've also thought about checking the Covenanter churches in the areas providing most of the troops. While they might not have specific records, if a parishoner (is that the right word?) was regularly in attendance prior to Dunbar and Worcester, then suddenly disappears with no death notice, it might indicate that the person was shipped to the colonies. This is a long shot, would be tedious research, and should only be used as a last resort.

      Finally, click on the link below, to find the most in-depth information I've yet found online re: the Battle of Dunbar. The author, Dennis Bell, is to be commended on a good piece of work. I contacted him re: any lists of prisoners, but he was unaware of any, although he feels, as many of us do, that the records are out there.

      Battle of Dunbar

      With a little luck, and sharing resources, let's hope we can track down those transport ships and their passenger lists.

      Judy