Covenanters and the American Revolution

  • Jack Rose
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 4 2:48 PM
      For some reason, historians seldom note the role played by religion
      in the American revolution. In my case, there are roughly 150 Roses
      listed on the DAR list of revolutionary pensions (not all my family).

      I would guess that the families of those Scottish prisoners were not
      too fond of the English or crown's restrictions placed on
      Presbyterian worship! Are there any books or internet sites on this
      subject? Any insights from the other descendents?
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 5 7:28 AM
        Jack Rose wrote:

        > For some reason, historians seldom note the role played by religion
        > in the American revolution. In my case, there are roughly 150 Roses
        > listed on the DAR list of revolutionary pensions (not all my family).
        >
        > I would guess that the families of those Scottish prisoners were not
        > too fond of the English or crown's restrictions placed on
        > Presbyterian worship! >

        I think very little. The Revolution was 125 years after the last of the
        Scottish prisoners came to America. I cannot join the SAR as I have no
        evidence that any of my ancestors participated.

        And where were restrictions placed on Presbyterian worship?

        bob gillis, a descendant of John Brow(ne) of the John and Sarah
      • Jack Rose
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 5 11:15 AM
          --- In ScottishWarPrisoners@yahoogroups.com, bob gillis
          <rpgillis@b...> wrote:

          > I think very little. The Revolution was 125 years after the last
          of the
          > Scottish prisoners came to America. I cannot join the SAR as I
          have no
          > evidence that any of my ancestors participated.
          >
          > And where were restrictions placed on Presbyterian worship?

          Prior to the revolution the only recognized church was the church of
          England. Other denominations were restricted in worship and their
          churches were not condidered churches but "meeting houses".
          Occasionaly you will hear of an old church referred to as a "meeting
          house".

          I'd guess most of the revolutionary army was some type of Calvinist,
          Presbyterian or Congregationalist (Puritan). My fore runner, David
          Rose, signed a declaration renouncing the crown and his sons Jesse
          and John were at Yorktown as were his first cousins Ezekiel and
          Tychicus Rose. I'd say the covenanters extracted their revenge at
          Yorktown.
        • Jack Rose
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 5 11:15 AM
            <rpgillis@b...> wrote:

            > I think very little. The Revolution was 125 years after the last
            of the
            > Scottish prisoners came to America. I cannot join the SAR as I
            have no
            > evidence that any of my ancestors participated.
            >
            > And where were restrictions placed on Presbyterian worship?

            Prior to the revolution the only recognized church was the church of
            England. Other denominations were restricted in worship and their
            churches were not condidered churches but "meeting houses".
            Occasionaly you will hear of an old church referred to as a "meeting
            house".

            I'd guess most of the revolutionary army was some type of Calvinist,
            Presbyterian or Congregationalist (Puritan). My fore runner, David
            Rose, signed a declaration renouncing the crown and his sons Jesse
            and John were at Yorktown as were his first cousins Ezekiel and
            Tychicus Rose. I'd say those Covenanters extracted their revenge at
            Yorktown.