Re:Daniel Cone

  • Larry Highman
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 14, 2003
      Hi Tom,

      I guess we are cousins of some sort. My dad's name was Hugh, how's that
      for a connection?
      I started this list because I became stumped. My grandfather said tha
      Daniel changed his name to Cone and we don't know for sure what it was
      before. I accepted that because Cone did not seem to be a Scottish name. I
      have found that there are and were some Scottish Cones. I even found a
      Daniel who had a birth registered in London in the 1600's along with several
      other Cones on the same date. A geneologist told me that this was often done
      "after the fact". I found a Leonard Cone of Neton, Hampshire, England born
      May 27, 1597, his father being Henry Collins or Cone. I did all of this
      research a long time ago on The Family Search IGI records. I looked recently
      and could not find the website. You may be interested to know that Mehitabel
      Spencer, Daniel Cone's wife, was of the same Spencer line as Princess Diana.
      That makes us related to the future King of England. Are you impressed? Once
      you link to a "royal" line, there is a lot of geneological record. This line
      takes us back to a DeSpencer who came to England with William the Conquerer
      in 1066.

      When I was in Scotland several years ago, I went to the MacDonald Center on
      the Isle of Skye. They had an inquiry about Daniel, but no more information.
      They looked him up on their computer and found birth
      information that he was born in Edinburgh in 1626 and his mother's name was
      Sophia Boyle. I have not been able to find that birth record however. I
      contacted the MacDonald center a few years later by email, and they were not
      able to find the reference in the computer. I know don't know what happened
      to this reference. It has all been very frustrating and I haven't had enough
      time to get into it again.

      I am glad you have joined the list. It has been pretty quiet. Perhaps
      people will post their stories.

      Jan

      Jan and Larry Highman
      Your Medieval Merchants
      http://www.galaxymall.com/product/tents
      http://www.galaxymall.com/books/medieval

    • tpm_11 <tpm_11@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 24, 2003
        Hi Jan:
        Thanks for the info.
        I had wondered about the connection to the Spencers. I actually have
        two links to that family. Mehitable Spencer's sister Alice (Marah)
        was married to another ancestor of mine named Thomas Brooks. The two
        lines joined three generations later with the marriage of Nehemiah
        Lord and Deborah Williams.
        Although I'm still stuck on Daniel Cone/Mackhoe, the research (mostly
        online) has been very interesting.
        Good luck on your research.
        Best wishes,
        Tom McHugh
      • Larry Highman
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 16, 2004
          On the Haddam CT web page, they list Daniel Cone with (MackHoe)
          after it. I don't think they listed it that way a few years back when I
          started searching on the internet. I wonder if they have found a proof that
          Daniel MackHoe on the John and Sara was our Daniel Cone.

          Jan Cone Highman

          > > --- Larry Highman <medievaltents@h...> wrote:
          > > > This is in reply to Tom Cone's post. Tom said that
          > > > he believes he is
          > > > decended from Neil Mackhoe. I am descended from
          > > > Daniel Cone and there is
          > > > some belief that he was Daniel Mackhoe on the John
          > > > and Sara. Tom, do you
          > > > have any "proof" that Neil Mackhoe changed his name
          > > > to Cone?
          > >
          > > No, I think that was something Jesse did, probably
          > > when he got to North Carolina.

          Premium!
        • Co Owner
          Message 4 of 4 , May 16, 2004
            --- In ScottishWarPrisoners@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Highman"
            <medievaltents@h...> wrote:
            > On the Haddam CT web page, they list Daniel Cone with (MackHoe)
            > after it. I don't think they listed it that way a few years back
            when I
            > started searching on the internet. I wonder if they have found a
            proof that
            > Daniel MackHoe on the John and Sara was our Daniel Cone.
            >
            > Jan Cone Highman

            > > > No, I think that was something Jesse did, probably
            > > > when he got to North Carolina.

            lineages are and have been for years claiming Daniel Cone was Daniel
            Mchoe even in their DAR and SAR applications for membership adding to
            that W W Cone who wrote Some Account of the Cone Family in America
            after reciving back mail from those he wrote to and the fact is that
            the book is written based on the replies he recived back in that the
            Southern group did write him but it was a write off on their part as
            he did in fact write one rather boldly and so challanged him to write
            and tell him who his daddy was if he could read and write. And there
            is a copy of that letter. But take his book and see who did write W W
            Cone with Cone Family information. It's sorta like fruing catfish
            when you shake them in a bag of corn meal.After they are coated how
            would one be capable of telling if that one was the one they caught
            as they all will come out of the bag coated, and ready to hit the
            pan. Some of the Cone genealogist can't even keep their William Cones
            straight even by who they each were married to. Some even proclaim
            one was having families with two differant women in two differant
            Georgia Counties at the same time. I realize that some have notions
            that Southerners are backwoods but give it a rest at least for those
            gone on and even more for those who today bear the Cone name.

            > Watch LIVE baseball games on your computer with MLB.TV, included
            with MSN
            > Premium!
            > http://join.msn.com/?page=features/mlb&pgmarket=en-
            us/go/onm00200439ave/direct/01/