Daniel STEWART

  • Cyndie May
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 11, 2002
      Hi all. I'm interested in Daniel STEWART who ended up in the Cape Cod area by 1662. Many sources state that he was a Scotsman and may have fled in the "time of the rebellion". Donald Whyte had listed a Daniel Stewart as a Royalist prisoner transported on the John and Sarah out of London 11 Nov 1651, but have not reviewed this source myself. Stewart Clan Magazine had an article reporting on a letter written in1869 stating the Martha's Vineyard Stewarts and the Cape Cod Stewarts were "relations and came in "the time of the rebellion"; that they "landed at Stewart's Landing on the Cape', wherever that may have been, and thinks the firts one was James"

      Confused? So am I. Another suggested that if they flrd they could have come through Nova Scotia first.

      If anyone can help with this I would be very thankful. I'm stuck in Barnstable, MA 1662.

      James STEWART/STEWARD/STUART (father)
      Daniel
      Hugh
      James (son)
      Alexander
      Willam

      Thank you very much,
      Cyndie

    • cwrichmond
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 11, 2002
        The Stewart names in the booklet "Scotch Prisoners Deported to New England
        by Cromwell, 1651-52: From the Battles of Dunbar and Worcester" include as
        passengers on the John and Sarah:

        Austin Stewart, Charles Stewart, Neile Stewart, Robert Stewart, and William
        Stewart.

        John Stewart is listed with the "Names of the Scotchmen remaining at the
        (Saugus) Iron works in Lynn, Massachusetts.

        Lucille Richmond

[...]

        ---
      • Digital Scotland

[...]

          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to